Post kidding question

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We had a kidding of triplets here today. The first one presented tail-first and I had to go in an get the back legs out. I know I should give antibiotics to the doe for 4 days to reduce chance of infection. What is the dosage? Is Pen-G appropriate, or do I need something else? Pen-G is really scary to me. Can I use something else instead?

Also, I bought B-Complex injectable, but am not sure of the dosage on that either.

Thanks in advance

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
1) Why is Pen G scary to you?
Oxytet and Nuflor scare me...Pen G is one I never worry about...It's also my 'go to' drug if what I'm worried about is that type (uterine) of infection or a wound.
I'm genuinely curious, not being a smart aleck...

2) How far in did you have to go / did you do any 'damage'..? Were your hands clean?
The reason I ask is I don't administer pre-emptive antibiotics *unless* I've done some major alterations while in the doe. I don't use meds unless I have to and 19 out of 20 assisted births, the does clean out fine w/ out antibiotics. BUT....there is the occasion where they do need it.
And if you genuinely feel like she needs it, give it to her.

3) Dosage per fiasco farm...1ml per 15 lbs. twice daily - Treat from 5-14 days, never less than 5. It should be used for at least 5 days and until all symptoms have disappeared, whichever comes first.

Good luck!

ETA B vit dosage...I generally give 1-3 cc per 50#, depending on how sick they are...they'll just pee out any 'extra'.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm genuinely curious, not being a smart aleck...
:p:!! It has been a tough week hasn't it? Too much kidding stress, I think.

ANYHOW, I assisted our doe bygoing in last year and retrieving a leg. I had gloved hands and rubbed iodine on for good measure. I feel the same as Roll Farm, as long as it was not too intrusive, I wouldn't give antibiotics.

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have read that if you accidentally get the Pen-G in a blood vessel, you could instantly kill your goat (shock, i guess). I don't know if that is true or not, but it's still SCARY!! :p

I don't think any damage was done, I only went in with my two index fingers to retrieve legs from a tail first birth. So, I might hold off on the antibiotics. Thanks!

Sorry I got all offended earlier. I'm generally not that wimpy. I was MAJOR stressed out because of the tail first birth and because of what happened with my doe after. She got choked on the afterbirth (which I was trying to clean up as we went, but she got it while i was drying off a kid. She was gagging, eyes bulging, shaking her head everywhere. I had to sit on her, reach in her throat and pull it all out. I guess my nerves were a little on edge. :p

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mini-M Ranch said:
She got choked on the afterbirth (which I was trying to clean up as we went, but she got it while i was drying off a kid. She was gagging, eyes bulging, shaking her head everywhere. I had to sit on her, reach in her throat and pull it all out.
YIKES! I'd be stressed too. Is this common? Our first kidding will be in April. **:clap**

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
My vet actually prefers Pen-G for uterine infections. She said for some reason it works the best. She doesn't have a good reason other than years of experience and tons of uterine infections treated.

Just give the Pen-G SQ and when you stick the needle in, pull the plunger back a little. If there is blood, then remove needle and try another spot. That is how to tell if you hit a blood vessel or vein.

Injecting anything into a vein could give a reaction or kill any animal. My vet always says you could inject water and get a reaction.

It sounds like you really weren't in very far at all. I would hold off on the antibiotic like you said.