Preferred detentions for NZ nestbox

mygoldendoe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For us it has worked well for years. We were under the belief that the if the rabbit stood along where the inch one was that it would hold the weight uncomfortably. Like with snowshoes, you want as much room for points of contact to hold the pressure evenly, yest still b clean. And my rabbits average 8lbs when grown. We also insulate with dead leaves until it's the point they need more or when birthing. I usually throw the leaves up in corner where their foot rest is and they put it where they want it. This will be the first year doing it on my own at my house tho, without dads input.

Last edited:

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
The 1/2" x 1" is supposed to be installed with the 1/2" spaced side facing upward, so the rabbits have the maximum amount of surface area contacting their feet. The concern with the hardware cloth is that the wire is usually a finer gauge, and is more likely to sag under the rabbit's weight. An unlevel floor means uneven weight distribution, so it's more likely to cause pressure sores on the feet - and that goes for whatever type of wire you use. Larger cages often have braces installed under the wire floor to help it to remain level under the weight of the doe and her litter.

mygoldendoe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The 1/2" x 1" is supposed to be installed with the 1/2" spaced side facing upward, so the rabbits have the maximum amount of surface area contacting their feet. The concern with the hardware cloth is that the wire is usually a finer gauge, and is more likely to sag under the rabbit's weight. An unlevel floor means uneven weight distribution, so it's more likely to cause pressure sores on the feet - and that goes for whatever type of wire you use. Larger cages often have braces installed under the wire floor to help it to remain level under the weight of the doe and her litter.

Yep our cages have supports on the larger ones. I get why ppl have problems about it. But with 8years use it hasn't sagged yet, but we do daily care and once week deep care. So far no issues for him and none with us. I dunno if it's bc it's 14 gauge or what. Who knows.