Preg-tone experience?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Someone I know had good success with it with her pigs, I've heard mixed things for sheep. For $500 I'd just save up a bit more and get a cheap ultrasound scanner (can be found for ~$800) and learn to use it. At least with that you can do fetal counts and measurements.

Personally, I'd learn to draw blood and send in for pregnancy tests on a small flock over a preg-tone. Red top tubes are something like $0.40 each, it takes maybe a minute to grab a ewe and pull blood once you know how, testing is $3 each at the place I use, and shipping cost me about $5 this past time. The preg-tone doesn't allow you to test any sooner than blood testing, requires just as much handling, and is less accurate. Someday I really want an ultrasound just for fun though!
Good points

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Someone I know had good success with it with her pigs, I've heard mixed things for sheep. For $500 I'd just save up a bit more and get a cheap ultrasound scanner (can be found for ~$800) and learn to use it. At least with that you can do fetal counts and measurements.

Personally, I'd learn to draw blood and send in for pregnancy tests on a small flock over a preg-tone. Red top tubes are something like $0.40 each, it takes maybe a minute to grab a ewe and pull blood once you know how, testing is $3 each at the place I use, and shipping cost me about $5 this past time. The preg-tone doesn't allow you to test any sooner than blood testing, requires just as much handling, and is less accurate. Someday I really want an ultrasound just for fun though!
I've never seen ultrasound scanner for less than a couple thousand??

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
I've never seen ultrasound scanner for less than a couple thousand??

These were linked in dog groups so you might have to use a different probe for sheep, but I'm not sure. People used them and liked them though.

Latest posts