Preggers??

SavannahLeigh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My Nigerian Dwarf goat has been living with 1 male and 2 other female for a while now... We suspect that ALL the goats are pregnant, but I think she might be due soon, if not today. Her udder had swelled up a LOT, about the size of a very large grapefruit. Her vulva has gotten thinner looking (not sure how to describe it) and she secreting an EXTREMELY thick, clear substance from her udder when I try to milk her (i was just testing, not doing it again :sick)

By the way... Some of y'all may know me from BYC with the username of TroyerGal. I'm thinking of just using that username on here too ;) Thanks for your help!!!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. Wishing you a Merry Christmas while I'm at it! :D Is this the first freshening for your goat girl or has she had kids before? Typically there will be mucous discharge from the vagina before birth... anywhere from 4-6 weeks before (loss of the plug) to right before. Some develop an udder weeks before hand, some wait till right after kidding. Some exhibit "nesting" behavior when they're getting ready to begin labor, some don't. Many lose their appetite as they approach labor. Some act "differently" than normal as the time approaches. A standoffish goat might become needy all of a sudden or vice versa. There are so many possible indications... The best one is when you see them pushing and there's presentation; nose and forefeet sticking out...

We have a lot of exceptional goat folks here and hopefully some of them will jump in to offer additional guidance/suggestions. One that just dawned on me is that you might want to separate your buck from the girls so he doesn't breed her back or pester her right after she kids. At least keep a very close eye on him. That will lower stress for your girl(s) too.

There's also a lot of experience and knowledge shared in the numerous kidding threads. Browse around and make yourself at home! Glad you joined us! :D

@babsbag @animalmom @OneFineAcre @Goat Whisperer @Southern by choice ...and the list goes on!

SavannahLeigh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks Latestarter!! It's nice to meet you! Merry Christmas :frow

I am gonna be away all day, but we have a kidding place for her so that she could be alone.. I'll report back at the end of the day and tell y'all what's up :D =D

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
First, welcome & Merry Christmas.

Next, your goat will have her kids when she is ready -- no matter the signals she gives, or doesn't, as the whim hits her :lol: It's their way to drive us nuts!!

MOST of the time when the ligaments are "gone" above her tail she's close (whether she wants to admit it or not) and the udder will usually get tight, teats full. Latestarter is right that they often change personality a bit AND do get that buck out of there. Well, the boys are NOT generally considerate! :rolleyes:

Wishing your gal a safe, quick kidding. OH, pics are pretty mandatory...:p

Latest posts