1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hoof trimming help - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Pregnancy possibility?

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Goats' started by AlleysChicks, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Jul 17, 2019
    AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Loving the herd life

I've had a young buck in with my girls since mid April. I've not seen anyone cycle since he arrived or any romantic action. My girls are Nigerian and a pygmy. My young buck is Nigerian. Last month I noticed the bucky odor from him but never before that. Could he have just been too young?
    I'm kinda hoping yes so I can breed in October/November. But at the same time I'd love some babies!

2. Jul 17, 2019
    lalabugs

lalabugs Loving the herd life

How old was the buck when you put him in the pen in April?

3. Jul 17, 2019
    AlleysChicks

3 months. He was pretty developed when I brought him home. That's the only reason I considered the possibility.

4. Jul 17, 2019
    lalabugs

lalabugs Loving the herd life

With him running with the does. I would say they are probably pregnant. I have had a 4 month old do the job. The only way to know for sure is to pull blood and send it in for a pregnancy test.

AlleysChicks likes this.
  5. Jul 17, 2019
    AlleysChicks

I'll just have to wait it out. I dont have the extra funds atm for pregnancy tests. I've had a few unexpected things pop up that takes priority. I haven't had goats in ages let alone a pregnant one.