Pregnancy progression signs for 1st calf heifers - beef breeds

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi, all,

I spend a bit of time on another discussion board where most folks own dairy cattle, so I've learned a lot about labor signs from those folks, like "stringers" and monitoring the pin bones prominence, bagging up, etc. I've heard, though, that the signs in beef breeds can be different or more subtle, and also that the signs in heifers is often different than in cows.

I check Bridgit, our 2-year old first calf Scottish Highland heifer, every evening after work as I comb her...feel her pins, check for stringers, and feel her udder. (Thankfully she allows all this...I'm hoping that will help make contact easier after she calves.) I've noticed subtle changes from week to week, but last night the back of her udder felt a lot fuller than the night before (not big, but the width of my hand from the bottom of the udder/top of teats to her belly), and she had a much longer stringer than I've seen yet (although it was all tied up in her long hair so kind of a loopy mess).

I'd love to hear your experiences with beef heifers (or dairy heifers) showing signs of heading toward labor, anything I should watch for, or "xx hours probably until labor if you see yyy" type things.

We expect her calf around the end of the month, but she was running with the bull so we really have no idea exactly when she's due. I'm thinking it might be sooner, so will be buying some supplies today at lunch and we'll get the other emergency supplies (feeding tube, dried colostrum, etc.) over the weekend so we have it when it's time.

Thanks!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would say she is getting close. My guess, from what you are saying, would be within the next few days.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
youll know she is getting close when her rear starts swelling an getting real loose.ive got a cow that wont bagg till she gets ready to have the calf.so when i see that i know she is ready to popp.

ncgnance

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You're watching all the right things. My dexter, Brigit, calved last Friday. She started stringing a week before, and her bag started getting bigger a week before, but I think the loosening of the vulva and the sagging of her back were the main signs. She got VERY floppy in the back end the day he was born, and after he was born her udder filled to the bursting point. Her teats were sticking straight out, and he couldn't get a good hold on one. The vet gave us some powder to loosen the bag up and that helped. But by the second day, he had figured out what to do. Good Luck...

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, dear!! We're so not ready!!

I ran to Bartell's to get some general (non-cattle) supplies, like KY Jelly and stuff...but am stumped by the 7% iodine solution I've seen recommended for the umbilical stump. They had either a 7% iodine tincture (85% alcohol!), or a Betadine solution with 10% iodine. Are either of these appropriate, or should I be looking for something else?

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ha ha, I just emailed my boss to give him a head's up in case I have to call in sick for work. He's probably just joined the ranks of people in my life who think I've flipped my lid!

Whee!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:gig Oh well, we understand and haven't thought you have flipped your lid!

For the iodine go to your farm supply store and get the 7% iodine. No stronger as it isn't good for the calf. I'm not sure about the rest of the ingredients in it.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just checked the meds cabinet and it is the 7% tincture! Oh, and so you know udder wash or mineral oil work for lubrication if the calf needs pulling. Back to milking!

Latest posts