Pregnant at 4 months?

Kass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 4 month old ND doe. She was at the breeders until she was 3.5 months old. At the breeders, the bucks and the does where housed together. 2 Adult bucks, and a few young bucks. It didn't even occur to me until now that she could be pregnant! I don't know how to tell, and the breeder didn't say anything about her being mounted at all. Maybe she didn't know that ND does can get pregnant at 8wks? Any advice? Is is possible she's pregnant? She's not showing any signs or anything (she wouldn't this early) its just a possibility worth checking out!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Both might survive but, at this age it compromises the growth and maturity of the doe. do you want a stunted, injured goat? It would be best to test -- she may be open!!! If she is bred, best to lute her (it's just a shot), ends the pregnancy and breed her when she is grownup.

As to seeing her mounted -- only takes seconds. Many breeding's are never witnessed.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could just get a shot of Lute and give it to her without the blood test. If she's bred she should abort... if not, no harm done.
I have had heifers that were 7-8 months old, still out to pasture with the cows, that the bull caught and they got pregnant. Not having any thoughts about it until they are starting to get fat and small udders develop. By then it is too late to abort. Got one now that calved at 16 months.... she is short, stunted somewhat, and will never reach her full potential. She raised her calf as I was not able to pull it and bottle raise it as she was out at another pasture...... we have held her over, she will go back to be bred with the heifers so the bull will be an easy calving bull, but if she doesn't raise a better calf this time she will go. She was just too young.
I tell everyone when they talk about calving out young heifers.... and it goes for young goats or sheep..... a 14 yr old girl can have a baby, but it's alot better for her health wise and everything all the way around for her to be 18 or more.....

seachick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes she could be pregnant. It was very irresponsible of the breeder to house them together. Honestly I would really question that breeder's judgement or experience. Please make sure that she's tested clean for diseases and has had the proper shots... This actually makes me very angry. So irresponsible!

Get a blood sample pulled (or pull yourself and send it in) for pregnancy, CAE, CL, Johnes and any other dieases prevalent in your area.

Kass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes she could be pregnant. It was very irresponsible of the breeder to house them together. Honestly I would really question that breeder's judgement or experience. Please make sure that she's tested clean for diseases and has had the proper shots... This actually makes me very angry. So irresponsible!

Get a blood sample pulled (or pull yourself and send it in) for pregnancy, CAE, CL, Johnes and any other dieases prevalent in your area.
The breeder didn't do regular shots, they just medicate as needed. I am new, so I haven't done any shots or vaccines either, as I don't know which ones are strictly necessary. I only have small herd of 2, soon to be 3, goats. I have a 7 week old doe on the bottle. She has been having a little bit of an issue with clumpy and loose stools. Acting fine and no temp. I have been giving her Probiotics for 2 days. If she doesn't get it under control in 2 more days, Im going to send it a stool to be tested for coccidia and worms.
Also, I live close to you, in Lisbon ME.

seachick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It sounds like you are doing well with the ProBios and monitoring her temp. Stress from moving definitely can cause a cocci bloom as you probably know. Does the breeder test their herd annually? I'd really recommend you do so if she did not. You really really don't want those diseases on your property. If those kids did not get CD/T and BoSe (either through the dam being given it 30 days before kidding, or a shot at birth) you probably want to do those. We are in a selenium deficient area and that's important. I personally raise my goats as naturally as possible but I consider those things (along with testing) essential. Are these registered or grade goats? I'm guessing not registered if they're letting bucks and does run together :( That really bums me out. I'm happy to talk to you on the phone or text if you want. Do you have a livestock vet? You're pretty close to Annabessacook and they are excellent for goats.

Kass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It sounds like you are doing well with the ProBios and monitoring her temp. Stress from moving definitely can cause a cocci bloom as you probably know. Does the breeder test their herd annually? I'd really recommend you do so if she did not. You really really don't want those diseases on your property. If those kids did not get CD/T and BoSe (either through the dam being given it 30 days before kidding, or a shot at birth) you probably want to do those. We are in a selenium deficient area and that's important. I personally raise my goats as naturally as possible but I consider those things (along with testing) essential. Are these registered or grade goats? I'm guessing not registered if they're letting bucks and does run together :( That really bums me out. I'm happy to talk to you on the phone or text if you want. Do you have a livestock vet? You're pretty close to Annabessacook and they are excellent for goats.
Texting would be great. I am just starting with goats and have lots of beginner questions.

Latest posts