Pregnant at 4 months?

Kass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does the breeder test their herd annually? I'd really recommend you do so if she did not. You really really don't want those diseases on your property. If those kids did not get CD/T and BoSe (either through the dam being given it 30 days before kidding, or a shot at birth) you probably want to do those. We are in a selenium deficient area and that's important.
As far as I know they have not been tested for any thing or had any shots. How would I do the CD/T, BoSe, and selenium? If the vet could do it all, as well as the coccidia test, is is worth the expense to get the vet out and do it all at once?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depends on your finances. One ranch call might be cheaper than taking them in and having a charge for seeing each one. If you do not have a regular vet, and they don't know you, most vets will not just hand over prescriptions meds (selenium and Lutelyse). On the other hand, you can order CDT vaccine from any livestock company and give it yourself. For goats the dose is 2cc per animal no matter the age or size. You have to do a booster shot 1 month later, then every year.

CDT stands for Clostridium C & D (overeater's disease) and tetanus. That is the basic vaccine. Depending on your area you might want to vaccinate for other stuff, but that is all I have given in 30 years. You want to vaccinate all 3 of your goats asap. Since the breeders were irresponsible, and it is possible she could be pregnant you need to Lutelyse her as soon as possible. I agree with FARMERJAN, don't bother with the blood test, just Lutelyse her. The blood test results take a couple days which means another visit to do the shot and more $$$ spent. If she is not pregnant the Lutelyse will do no harm.

Call the vet for a ranch call. Make sure the vet knows about goats! Explain what you need done so the vet will carry the right stuff on the truck when he comes. Ask if the vet has the CDT vaccine since most breeders and owners do their own CDT vaccinations. If he doesn't have it, order the vaccine and order at least 6 3cc Luer lock syringes with 3/4" 22 gauge needles (sold as a set). 3 goat x 2 shots of CDT 1 month apart. That size needle is a good size for sub Q injections in sheep and goats, especially babies. It is a fine gauge needle and not too long, less painful and easier for you to manage. When the vet comes out on the ranch call, have the vet take stool samples for coccidia and parasites, give the young doe the Lutelyse shot, and give selenium shots for the other 3 all at the same time on one ranch call. If you have the CDT and syringes by then the vet can show you how to give those shots sub Q in the groin or armpit area. Since you have no experience, having the vet do all this will ease your mind. he can also check for general health. Be specific about the Lutelyse and Bo-Se so he will bring those meds. Bo-Se is the brand name of injectable Selenium made for cattle - Bovine Selenium, it is what to ask for when you tell the vet you need selenium injections.

How old is your bottle baby? How much and how often are you feeding her? The biggest mistake first timers make with bottle babies is overfeeding and feeding bottles more than twice a day You want the baby to be hungry so it will start nibbling hay. Don't give grain to young stock. You want them to eat hay (roughage) to build their rumens. A healthy large rumen is essential to sheep, goats and cattle.

Kass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Depends on your finances. One ranch call might be cheaper than taking them in and having a charge for seeing each one. If you do not have a regular vet, and they don't know you, most vets will not just hand over prescriptions meds (selenium and Lutelyse). On the other hand, you can order CDT vaccine from any livestock company and give it yourself. For goats the dose is 2cc per animal no matter the age or size. You have to do a booster shot 1 month later, then every year.

CDT stands for Clostridium C & D (overeater's disease) and tetanus. That is the basic vaccine. Depending on your area you might want to vaccinate for other stuff, but that is all I have given in 30 years. You want to vaccinate all 3 of your goats asap. Since the breeders were irresponsible, and it is possible she could be pregnant you need to Lutelyse her as soon as possible. I agree with FARMERJAN, don't bother with the blood test, just Lutelyse her. The blood test results take a couple days which means another visit to do the shot and more $$$ spent. If she is not pregnant the Lutelyse will do no harm.

Call the vet for a ranch call. Make sure the vet knows about goats! Explain what you need done so the vet will carry the right stuff on the truck when he comes. Ask if the vet has the CDT vaccine since most breeders and owners do their own CDT vaccinations. If he doesn't have it, order the vaccine and order at least 6 3cc Luer lock syringes with 3/4" 22 gauge needles (sold as a set). 3 goat x 2 shots of CDT 1 month apart. That size needle is a good size for sub Q injections in sheep and goats, especially babies. It is a fine gauge needle and not too long, less painful and easier for you to manage. When the vet comes out on the ranch call, have the vet take stool samples for coccidia and parasites, give the young doe the Lutelyse shot, and give selenium shots for the other 3 all at the same time on one ranch call. If you have the CDT and syringes by then the vet can show you how to give those shots sub Q in the groin or armpit area. Since you have no experience, having the vet do all this will ease your mind. he can also check for general health. Be specific about the Lutelyse and Bo-Se so he will bring those meds. Bo-Se is the brand name of injectable Selenium made for cattle - Bovine Selenium, it is what to ask for when you tell the vet you need selenium injections.

How old is your bottle baby? How much and how often are you feeding her? The biggest mistake first timers make with bottle babies is overfeeding and feeding bottles more than twice a day You want the baby to be hungry so it will start nibbling hay. Don't give grain to young stock. You want them to eat hay (roughage) to build their rumens. A healthy large rumen is essential to sheep, goats and cattle.
Willow is a nigerian/saanen cross. 7 weeks old. Ive been giving her 8oz twice a day. cows milk. She has been eating hay, a little grain, chewing her cud, good temp, active. The only weird thing is her inconsistent poops. She ranges from logs, to normal, to liquid everyday. I thought maybe coccidia, but that wouldn't make it go back and forth, would it? The obvious would be diet change, but I thought she would be over it by now. Im keeping her off pasture to make sure shes not eating any thing she not supposed to.
(seachick, I know you gave me an answer, Im just open to other opinions too :) )

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cows milk is not always the best - can you feed plain goats milk or reconstituted goat milk (powder formula)? Stop the grain which is too concentrated in protein and may be giving her stomach problems. If it is goat feed or sweet feed it has molasses which can also cause some of the poop problems. Just offer hay. As a 7 week old she would be foraging with mom. She would not get grain even if you were feeding it to her mother because the greedy doe would push her out of the way and eat it herself. Grain is not necessary for kids, we had a high yielding milking herd and never gave grain to kids. We also showed our goats and were very successful so they can keep their condition on good quality hay alone.

If you are having the vet out have him do a stool sample. Long lasting coccidia will eventually show some bloody mucous in the diarrhea. You are right that if she had cocci she would not go from solid to liquid back and forth. It sounds like diet to me - too rich in protein can cause diarrhea.