Pregnant Baby Pygmy??

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Can you tell if she has any udder development?
Thankfully no that is why I have doubts of her being pregnant but then again if she is she shouldn't develop it for a while however she could still get one

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not an ideal situation but too late now. keep track of your dates and possible kidding time. Prepare a kidding kit. Watch udder development and ligs as time gets close and if possible be on site.

Many of goats have been bred too young and have fared well.
In that kit make sure you have lots of lube!

Keep positive. :)

There is a P test that some have tried and it was not expensive. It is somewhere on this site.
I couldn't find the original poster but here is the lab.

http://www.emlabgenetics.com/Pages/PTEST.aspx

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have heard of bucks testing positive on the P test...:p

I have not used this so I cannot speak to as how well they work but it seems many have and results have been good.

I imagine there may have been other factors, possible contamination.

I did DNA samples on 13 dogs. My one male showed up as a FEMALE! :lol: I had to redo 3 control tests over. In the end it was my fault as I did BLOW ON THE TEST! Which you are not suppose to do and without thinking I did. :rolleyes: That is all it took... I am still convinced I may have touched it as well.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been out of town, so sorry I'm jumping in the party a little late. From my perspective you've got a couple of choices and none of them are "the best". Of course the best would be if she wasn't bred yet. :)

But, if she was with a buck when she was in heat then it's a pretty good bet that she's pregnant. So, if I understand - she's 8 months old now and possibly 3 months bred.

She is small, but I've seen young does give birth successfully. I've also seen it go bad. Truth is - if you don't have a relationship with a veterinarian your choices are limited anyway.

My best advice on her is to keep her active. The worst thing for her would be to go into a birth carrying too much weight. Fat is the mortal enemy of a pregnant pygmy goat. Watch her udder for development. Learn how to check her ligaments and be as prepared for a birth as you can possibly be.

You've been given good advice about getting a kidding kit together and yes, be sure you've got lube available.

Take this time to learn as much as you can about how to reposition a kid during the birth if you need to.

Good luck!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed your first post... Greetings and welcome to BYH! As you see, we have some great goat folks here. You have pretty animals! Hope all goes well with the upcoming birth :fl I look forward to future updates and pics ;) Make yourself at home!

Sally Sunshine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not an ideal situation but too late now. keep track of your dates and possible kidding time. Prepare a kidding kit. Watch udder development and ligs as time gets close and if possible be on site.

Many of goats have been bred too young and have fared well.
In that kit make sure you have lots of lube!

Keep positive. :)

There is a P test that some have tried and it was not expensive. It is somewhere on this site.
I couldn't find the original poster but here is the lab.

http://www.emlabgenetics.com/Pages/PTEST.aspx

I have the pdf for these tests if anyone needs it, but for some reason I am not able to upload. I just got my order in house for them.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have four pygmy goats, two females and two males. I keep my females seperated because they are mother and daughter, and the daughter is only 8 months and still significantly smaller than the others. They recently broke the fence and were out in the yard together so I fixed the pen and placed my baby in a reinforced fence. I thought she was just bloated from the grass but it's been two days since I penned her away and she is still VERY fat and I fear she may be pregnant and I wasn't around when she got out of the pen about 3 months ago. She has already went in heat a few times and she is able to bear but she is WAY too small. If she is there is a very high chance she could die. What do I do??

If she has twins, she may do OK. A big single can be problem. At this stage just close monitor and C section by vet if needed. I have seen as young as seven month old give birth and be fine.
Dear friend had pymies and I warned her to remove buck from herd when babies started being born..... buck's daughters gave birth at a couple weeks shy of seven months old. Every one did fine and grew off well in the end. She removed buck LOL.
Too late now, but leutalyse would have been an option when she first got bred. Basically you wait ten days after 'exposure to buck' and give. It is vet only meds. Given at proper time it causes no discomfort to doe and she will just cycle back into heat as normal.