PREGNANT BUNNY

Animal Person

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am new to this site and new to breeding bunnies. My doe is supposed to go into labor tomorrow. It is currently 8:41 at night. She has not pulled out her hair to help make the nest, dose this mean she is not pregnant? On day 12 I palpated her and i couldn't fee anything, but i have herd that dose not mean she is not pregnant, it just means I could not feel it. So dose this mean she is not pregnant? Her belly feels bigger.... I think.. It could be my imagination. Please respond quickly:) anything will help! Thanks! Hopefully I get a response!!!:p

Shorty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a doe who doesn't pull fur until she has the kits I'll check her and nothing is in the box, come back an hour later and there is a fur explosion and a nest full of kits.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Animal Person from the front range in Colorado :frow Welcome to BYH, glad you could join us! There are quite a few bunny folks on the site, I'll tag a few and see if maybe they can help you. I see Shorty has already chimed in :) Have you been to the rabbit forums yet? There's a lot of info there as well. @Bunnylady @Samantha drawz @Pearce Pastures @SA Farm @BlessedWithGoats --- Any tips for our newcomer?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like shorty said, a lot of does don't pull fur until they're in labor and in some cases not until they've given birth.
So, it doesn't necessarily mean she's not bred. Just give her time and keep an eye on her at this point :)

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with the others - if I see fur in the nest, I expect to find kits there, particularly with a first-time doe. Every doe is different, though, and until you have a bit of experience with a doe, you don't know what she will do.

Lots of does exhibit a change of attitude when they are pregnant - a generally friendly doe may become a real touch-me-not. Often, you will see a pregnant doe digging in a corner of her cage; she would be digging a burrow if she were on the ground. During the last couple of weeks of a pregnancy, a doe will gather nesting material; you may see her poking around in her cage with a big handful of hay sticking out of either side of her mouth. I have had a few does that pulled wisp or two of fur at this time, but most waited until just before or just after kindling for the fur. However, I did have one Jersey Wooly doe that started fur pulling 10 days or so before she was due, and kept it up; by the time the kits arrived, she was almost completely bald. Lots of people have noticed that does will often go off feed the day before they kindle, but not all does will do that.

Labor and delivery is a quick process; a doe can usually deliver even a large litter in half an hour or less. a few does may not get the job done all in one "go;" Angora breeders have told me that their breeds are notorious for spreading things out, even over a couple of days. I had one doe (also a Jersey Wooly) that had 3 babies on her due date, and 3 more a few days later, but almost every other doe I have known has been quick and efficient once she got down to giving birth - when she moves out of the nest box, she's done.

Good luck!

Animal Person

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Greetings @Animal Person from the front range in Colorado :frow Welcome to BYH, glad you could join us! There are quite a few bunny folks on the site, I'll tag a few and see if maybe they can help you. I see Shorty has already chimed in :) Have you been to the rabbit forums yet? There's a lot of info there as well. @Bunnylady @Samantha drawz @Pearce Pastures @SA Farm @BlessedWithGoats --- Any tips for our newcomer?
Thank you for the help! I have not visited any of the forums yet, because i am confused on what they are:\ Thanks for tagging people1 @Latestarter

Last edited:

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Welcome!!
Agree with the above. I have had Flemish not pull anything until they were having kits. I also had a doe who would not pull her own fur but rather would reach through the cage and pull fur from her neighbor (who didn't seem to mind at all).

Animal Person

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I agree with the others - if I see fur in the nest, I expect to find kits there, particularly with a first-time doe. Every doe is different, though, and until you have a bit of experience with a doe, you don't know what she will do.

Lots of does exhibit a change of attitude when they are pregnant - a generally friendly doe may become a real touch-me-not. Often, you will see a pregnant doe digging in a corner of her cage; she would be digging a burrow if she were on the ground. During the last couple of weeks of a pregnancy, a doe will gather nesting material; you may see her poking around in her cage with a big handful of hay sticking out of either side of her mouth. I have had a few does that pulled wisp or two of fur at this time, but most waited until just before or just after kindling for the fur. However, I did have one Jersey Wooly doe that started fur pulling 10 days or so before she was due, and kept it up; by the time the kits arrived, she was almost completely bald. Lots of people have noticed that does will often go off feed the day before they kindle, but not all does will do that.

Labor and delivery is a quick process; a doe can usually deliver even a large litter in half an hour or less. a few does may not get the job done all in one "go;" Angora breeders have told me that their breeds are notorious for spreading things out, even over a couple of days. I had one doe (also a Jersey Wooly) that had 3 babies on her due date, and 3 more a few days later, but almost every other doe I have known has been quick and efficient once she got down to giving birth - when she moves out of the nest box, she's done.

Good luck!
Thank you this is very helpful!!! She was not a very nice bunny before I bred her, but once I did she became much nicer and happier! Today is her due date, I am going to go out this morning and check on her. Thanks do much and ill keep you posted!

Latest posts