1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Threads - What Do I need to know?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Pregnant cow with cancer.. need advice!

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Cattle' started by becca renee, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Feb 3, 2017
    becca renee

becca renee Just born

A week ago we noticed one of our dairy cows who was about to be dried up had an irritated eye. We dried her up and decided to leave her in with the milking herd to monitor and treat it. It quickly progressed and in a few days we called the vet out. She diagnosed her as having a tumor and being that she is pregnant, advised us to give her aspirin and flush her eye with penicillin twice daily. Today would be eight days since we first saw it and a few days since we started the aspirin/penicillin and since then it has gotten to the point where her eye is protruding well beyond the socket and is dry and dead looking and looks like it could even fall out. She is due in thirty days but she is definitely not looking like she will make it that long before we have to put her down. I've only been involved with dairy farming for four years and I have very little experience with premature calves. Does anyone have any insight on the best way to approach this situation in order to save the calf and prevent any undo suffering of the mother? At thirty days premature, would the calf have much chance of survival? And if we were able to make it a few more days, how much difference would it make?

2. Feb 3, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

Welcome to BYH.

I am sorry about your cow, that is a fast moving cancer. :( I know nothing about cattle but I will tag a few people that will better be able to answer your questions.

@farmerjan
    @cjc
    @WildRoseBeef
    @greybeard

3. Feb 3, 2017
    luvmypets

luvmypets Herd Master

Could you maybe have the eye removed? Get out the most they can and have her carry it to full term? Im sorry you have to go through this let me tag a few people @WildRoseBeef @farmerjan

Ponker likes this.
  4. Feb 3, 2017
    becca renee

becca renee Just born

Thank you!

5. Feb 3, 2017
    becca renee

becca renee Just born

Thanks! I'm not sure that removing the eye this late in gestation is a very viable option, unfortunately. I was told that the drugs used to sedate the cow could dangerously affect the mother and/or calf.

6. Feb 3, 2017
    luvmypets

luvmypets Herd Master

Do you think she can hold out? I really hope you can get a calf from her :fl

7. Feb 3, 2017
    TAH

TAH Herd Master

Could you remove the eye atfer she calves?

8. Feb 3, 2017
    becca renee

becca renee Just born

No, I really don't :( I'm mostly just hoping that the calf will be far enough along that we'll be able to save it. But thank you!

9. Feb 3, 2017
    GLENMAR

GLENMAR True BYH Addict

Maybe they can give her some steroid injections to help the calf's lungs develop faster just in case.

mysunwolf and Ponker like this.
  10. Feb 3, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Greetings and welcome to BYH. What a terrible set of circumstances to bring you here. The "right folks" have already been tagged, and I hope they'll show up soon. I have no experience with this personally but from what I understand, a one month premature calf would have about zero chance of survival. Sounds to me like you've already decided the cow is terminal. That being the case, I'd let her carry the calf just as long as she's able to stay alive. Worst case you can do a C section to remove the calf when the mom goes down and hope to save something from the whole situation. Sorry again, but hope you'll let us know how it all ends up.