Pregnant doe and cocci

Jupiter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I was bringing home a Nigerian dwarf doe to be with my wether, but she's not here yet. The wether got into the grain, ended up at the vet with acidosis rumensis, now getting probios and baking soda and was doing better when he started scouring. He had a fecal a while ago that was good, but now has a coccidia bloom I'm treating with Corid. Jeez. Goat are so not easy!

Here's my question----I think my new doe is pregnant best guess due in March or April. I am supposed to get her asap because they are getting out of goats. How do I avoid her getting cocci too? And I've always given ivermectin the day the new addition came to my place, but can I do that while she's pregnant?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you have cocci in your soil and virtually everyone does, then any goat you get is going to get some. It's normally not a big issue with adult goats as they build a tolerance as they age. It's normally only a serious issue with newborn kids and can kill them virtually overnight if not caught and treated. Many/most use cocci prevention with kids. Cocci or any parasite can become an issue if the goat gets stressed or the immune system takes a hit from some other illness. Since your wether got into the grain and started bloating, he got stressed and that's what most likely brought on his bloom.

When you bring home your doe, you should wait a week or so then have a fecal done looking for egg counts for worms and check for cocci at that time as well. Wormers won't kill cocci. Often/sometimes/most times moving the animal from one place to another stresses it and there could be a parasite bloom caused by that stress.

You shouldn't treat with wormers "just because"... Before treating for worms (or anything else) you should check to see if it's even an issue that requires treatment.

Jupiter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks. So, I'll get his rechecked after the cocci treatment and hers checked shortly after she's here. I'm new to Nigerians, but she's a doll. I was mostly wanting a pet, so her probably being bred is a fun surprise. Hopefully it will go easily and uneventfully :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never had an adult goat with cocci so no help on whether or not you can treat a pregnant doe but I know that if she needs to be wormed you can use Ivermectin while they are bred. I would ask the vet about cocci treatment if it comes to that.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
All adult goats will have some level of cocci it just doesn't show up because the immunity is built up. Usually not an issue, however there are times where even an adult goat may have a bloom. Best to have the fecal run right away, do not wait a week in her case.
Deworming with 2 classes of wormers would be ideal. Ivermectin and Safeguard would be safest. Then repeat fecal a week later.
You do not want to build superworms or bring that on the land. When bringing a new goat in you want to deworm to get a zero count if possible.
This shows you also how effective the dewormers are.

If high load dosing again will be important. Most dewormers are only killing 4th stage. If she does have a higher load of cocci you will need to work with the vet for treatment due to her being pregnant. Corid inhibits the production of Thiamine.

Jupiter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have her checked, I bet her cocci load is low, but I'll talk to the vet about how to treat if necessary. I'll probably have fecals done monthly not quarterly for a while.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are going to do them monthly it would be great for you to buy a scope and McMaster slides and learn how to do your own. The best way to learn on your own is to still have them run by someone who knows what they are doing whether it is a vet or tech or another in the goat world. This way you can see how you are doing.

Latest posts