pregnant doe question

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
heres the deal I am maybe kinda sure my little gracie is pregnant but... I have a question for all my "advisors" she has lost a set of twins last year in "maybe" Jan or Feb or March. I know amazing no one knows for sure isn't it.
Question #1.
last night I looked at her rear and it looks gooey, kinda sticky- ish. It is NOT oozing or anything. maybe a little LIGHT greenish?
But I have looked at her udder and it is tiny. I have also put them all on a diet because i do not want her to die of that over eating diease. They were being fed WAY TOO MUCH feed.
Shes not even that big,
Question # 2.
Can she have like a yeast infection or do they sometimes leak through out pregnancy.
Question #3.
I want to take her to the vet this week can he really tell me if and when she may be due. I don't need an exact day I want like the month.
I was told they will maybe due an X-ray to see.
Thanks

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
#1,2,3....I would definitely take her to the vet...He/she will be able to tell you how far along she is by one of these methods: bumping,vulva examination, cervical examination, or ultrasonography...They will check the excretion from her behind. They may want a blood test to determine if her previous kid loss can be prevented...if it was caused by some disease or deficiency.
If you think she is too fat feed her more hay less concentrate..stimulate her rumen..you didn't say what breed she is...that in mind, some does, depending on the breed, won't begin to "bag up" until kidding or just shortly before

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
A greenish discharge would really concern me. Slightly yellow/amber or creamy white is normal through pregnancy - but with a green tint I would be concerned about uterine infection.

All of my goats tend to build their udder in the last 30 days or so of pregnancy, some start as far as 60 days out tho. Of course an aborting doe will not have the hormones in place to udder up.

I would never place a pregnant doe on a diet. Over eating disease (entero) is NOT caused by feeding a regular balanced diet. It is an overproduction of bacteria usually brought on by sudden overindulgence or some other cause of rumen slow down. Your goats should be vaccinated against it to reduce that risk (C/D & T or Covexin 8). If you restrict a pregnant doe's feed, you run a real risk of hypocalcaemia and severly deficient kids. Our does receive no less than 3.5 lbs of goat feed per 100 lbs of goat until the last month of pregnancy when they get an increase in both feed and alfalfa rations to support fetal growth and lactation. Free choice hay is always important with goats, also.

Remember, a goat who looks round is not overfed - this is a sign of a healthy or full rumen. You have to check for muscling and/or fat deposits over the chine, shoulder blades, hip bones and neck. There are a couple good illustrations of this if you google caprine body condition scoring.

I agree a vet visit might be prudent.

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's really hard to keep the boys out of her food.Everytime i go to feed them they will push her out of the wayButthe end of this week I should have my goat barn at my place and so i will be getting rid of the boys on the 16 so then I will be able to control all the feeding issues alot better.
Thanks to I beleive Kate for describing the "fish tail" as a way to check for copper defencey, she definitly looks to be.
I am going to post some feeding questions too now that i kinda know they are needing some more to their diets.
Agagin Thanks and I will keep updating:thumbsup