Pregnant doe with bloat

journey11

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello, I need some advice! I have a pregnant ND doe, not due until mid-May, down with bloat. She got into the chicken feed yesterday while I was standing there and I thought I got it from her in time, but apparently not. She was down and breathing hard when I came to feed a little while ago.

I have given her two baking soda oral boluses so far, 1 tsp in 1/8th cup olive oil. Daughter is massaging her sides. I have watched a YouTube video on how to puncture the gut and kept 18 guage needles on hand just in case. First time I poked her, I didn't hit it right and yellowish brown fluid came out. Poked her a second time and thought maybe I was getting just air, but could feel the needle moving around when she moved, so I backed out again. I am scared to poke her again and worried if I hurt her or caused a problem from the first bad stick. See the pic below... Should I have gone higher?

She is up and moving and relaxed a bit since the baking soda. What else should I do? Removing food and water now also. She has gone to the bathroom, burped a little and we let her have a sip of water.

20190313_160301.jpg
20190313_160055.jpg

My Facebook goat group hasn't even put my post through yet. :hit

journey11

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you. I forgot to add too, it is not frothy bloat. She is on her feet still, breathing is a little labored. She's just standing there. I am just so upset that I didn't poke her right. My youngest daughter came down to watch and hit her nose with a folding lawn chair and had a nose bleed. That did not help my nerves any!

I have put about 3 tsps of baking soda down her so far.

journey11

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Third times the charm...I finally got air! I had to try again. I knew I couldn't leave her like that. Thank you, Jesus! She looks better already. It was like deflating a tire. A little more yellow brown fluid came out at the end. Should I give her antibiotics?

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:celebrate

I don't have any experience with this but penicillin is not a bad thing if you invade at all. I even do it if I have to go in after a kid even if I'm wearing gloves.

Would you please when you have time post what you know about doing the sticking or where you learned that on my thread about sharing what you wish you'd known. This is something I need to learn. not only had to do that, but how you recognized it.

journey11

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just feed her hay and water till she is pooping normal again, peanut oil also works for bloating

I took it away for a bit so she wouldn't drink too much, but I'll give her hay and water only when I get back. We had to run to town, but my neighbor's kids are watching her for me until we get back. Thank you all for the replies. I will link that video when I get home.

journey11

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It will be a sleepless night for me worrying about her. She's still not out of the woods yet. I'm on the edge of crying, thinking about her tiny babies. I could feel movement as I was massaging her. We only have the two goats. They are more pets than livestock to us. Haven't been at this long and I hate learning things the hard way. :(

Katie is the white doe. Julie on the left is her mom. See how big she is compared to Julie. It's down from what it was though.
20190313_225512.jpg