Pregnant Doe with Mites

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello again!
Okay so we drove down to get pedigree pure bred Flemish Giants from Bill Mairs. We got an amazing breeding trio sandy doe, fawn doe, and sandy buck.

However when we were there our fawn doe's neighbours had mites which he was in the process of treating so many were still affected. We avoided the ones that were obvious and planned to treat everyone just in case when we got home.

However he had already bred our fawn doe so I did a little research and discovered that you shouldn't treat her the way I normally would while she's pregnant!

So of course when I looked her over carefully I found a small patch of flaky skin :rolleyes:

So my question is, what do I do?

Sidenote: the new rabbits are in our outdoor hutch and I had to move everyone around for cage space and quarantining them so one of our previous bucks had to go out with them, so he too will need to be treated. I've been doing care for the indoor rabbits first then moving to the outdoor hutch and washing my hands after.

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pumpkin 16.5 lbs the doe who has mites:
5D984EE7-153B-4512-B32D-20D8B44F9827.jpeg

Rose 15.5 lbs the other doe
7B0EDC69-7C9E-4762-A7A9-E8AF735093D9.jpeg

Boyka 17.5lbs the new buck and frosty 9.2lbsthe buck that needed a cage and ended up with these guys
350EA8E6-919F-48D5-AD24-7C43F7424C8D.jpeg

Frosty somehow manages to get peed on often 🙄

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only mites I had experience with were ear mites and I suffocated them out with mineral oil. Skin mites, I have no experience with. On the ivermectin, I can give it to my pregnant sheep with no ill effects. So if you give it to your doe and she loses the litter, was it the ivermectin or one of the myriad of reasons why does slip a litter? :idunno I researched ivermectin to death before I gave it to my pregnant ewes. It didn't faze them a bit.

Your new rabbits are beautiful, lovely additions to your rabbitry. I love Frosty too, what a fitting name for him.

ETA I had 3 Red Wattle feeder pigs that were crawling with mites. I treated them with ivermectin twice, 10 days apart and there were no more mites. but of course they weren't rabbits and they weren't pregnant. But the ivermectin worked.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sometimes we just have to stick our necks out on the chopping block. Sometimes whatever situation we have, it works. Then we are heroes. Sometimes it doesn't work and we are chagrinned at our failure as our head gets chopped off. Farming in any capacity, whether it be thousands of acres with many, many cattle all the way to a small backyard in a city with a few hens or rabbit hutches, it all comes with a certain amount of risk. You get put in a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. There is always a chance of killing your animals with treatment or killing them with no treatment. The decisions can be agonizing, we win, we lose, we learn and we move forward. Please know that I want only the best for you and your rabbits, I know each and every one of them is special to you.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't had mites yet, so I don't have advice there. If your bucks are peeing on each other, can you put up a urine guard? About 6 inches up the cage wall, so they shouldn't be able to hit their neighbor. I think it's a territorial thing, some bucks spray and others don't.

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sometimes we just have to stick our necks out on the chopping block. Sometimes whatever situation we have, it works. Then we are heroes. Sometimes it doesn't work and we are chagrinned at our failure as our head gets chopped off. Farming in any capacity, whether it be thousands of acres with many, many cattle all the way to a small backyard in a city with a few hens or rabbit hutches, it all comes with a certain amount of risk. You get put in a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. There is always a chance of killing your animals with treatment or killing them with no treatment. The decisions can be agonizing, we win, we lose, we learn and we move forward. Please know that I want only the best for you and your rabbits, I know each and every one of them is special to you.
This is so very very true, after much research and jumping through hoops I've purchased and meticulously measured out insanely small doses for each of the affected rabbits. Cross your fingers and wish us luck!

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I haven't had mites yet, so I don't have advice there. If your bucks are peeing on each other, can you put up a urine guard? About 6 inches up the cage wall, so they shouldn't be able to hit their neighbor. I think it's a territorial thing, some bucks spray and others don't.
:bunny all my boys spray. They are so talented that they manage to spray me in the eyes regularly, they are so talented they spray over guards (we have them in some of the cages but will be putting them in every cage when we overhaul our set up soon), they are so talented that the floors are painted in pee for miles. I think they have contests when I'm not in the building. He was coated in pee from his previous neighbors not his new one. He does clean it off sometimes and then he gets dirty all over ...... boyssssss

Latest posts