Pregnant Doe with Mites

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
:bunny all my boys spray. They are so talented that they manage to spray me in the eyes regularly, they are so talented they spray over guards (we have them in some of the cages but will be putting them in every cage when we overhaul our set up soon), they are so talented that the floors are painted in pee for miles. I think they have contests when I'm not in the building. He was coated in pee from his previous neighbors not his new one. He does clean it off sometimes and then he gets dirty all over ...... boyssssss
:sick boys can be gross! I haven't noticed mine spraying, and they haven't tried to spray me yet, so maybe I'm just lucky.

I hope your bunnies get better and the mites go away.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your boys are bad! Maybe you should carry a water pistol with vinegar water and spray them back. Of course, they might like it and pee more. Hmmm......something they don't like, ammonia water maybe?

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a doe now that is pregnant and I just discovered mites, it came from our newest male which she was bred to. How did your situation turn out? what did you do?

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Can you use de on the rabbits. I've never had mites either. I know they can come in straw, hay, or even bedding. I had an issue with ticks this summer and I got a little duster and put de on everything! After that I swear I didn'tsee anymore ticks. And I have 2 big dogs and lots of rabbits that I grazing at the time. You can maybe use a lime wash to clean your cages? This thread is older how did you all come out?

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello, DE does not work on mites, you can use that on rabbits with some caution, so I have read. But in my case, it turned out not to be mites, thankfully. I did not do anything to her, it turns out the buck I bred her with had bit into her back, what I was seeing was scabs. This is a new buck, normally I leave them together in a large cage for three full days, but I will not do this with him again. Her spots healed just fine.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes I leave my does with the buck for weeks. I know they say not to but if the rabbits get along I don't see why not. Some get along better than others, and I will remove the doe if they arent getting along.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There's an apple flavored horse wormer Ivermectin gel that works a treat on wool and ear mites. Just smear a dab of it about the size of a split pea on the bunny's ear. No more mites.

We have angora bunnies, as far as I can figure wool mites spontaneously combust out of thin air. Ivermectin is our go-to remedy and it is routinely given the a newly sheared doe before she goes off to meet a buck. But, we aren't vets, we aren't medical people, this is just what we do, YMMV.

Latest posts