Pregnant dog temp drop.

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Soo guys.. I was hoping this was the place to post but....

My mini poodle Annie is about 58 days pregnant. The first time I took her temp on the night of day 56 it was 98.9 then in the morning on day 57 it was 99.9 and 100.4 that night. And this morning on day 58 it was 98.8.

I not sure what to make of it. The first night when her temp was down she was really gassy, restless and didn't eat that whole day. But now shes fine. I mean shes sleepy pretty much 24/7 but she's eating and isnt gassy so I dont know if she was just having gass pains or not.

Do you think she will be going into labor soon?

Oh yah and she still doesn't have any milk yet.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is this her first litter?
Her temperature will drop below 100 degrees 12-30 hours before delivery.
So it's a bit strange that she hasn't gone into labor yet.
Take her temp every 2 hours, keep an eye on her and watch for complications now.
Does she have any discharge?
White or gelatinous discharge is a sign of whelping within 48 hours.
Blood-tinged discharge means the first puppy is coming.

Last edited:

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see your first question. Yes this is her first litter. It's been about 3 ish hours since her last temp was taken and now it's 99.6 so it seems that her temp is low in the morning and closer to normal buy not quite at bedtime.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay. Do you have a vet for her?
If there are any issues or complications it's always a good idea to have a vet around.
Also, what breed is the dad of her upcoming litter?

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The nearest vet is 45 minutes from where we live. And sadly my parents are the mother nature knows best type. Both of the parents are purebred mini poodles.

So right now her temp is 99.1 and she is kinda like making a weird wheezing/whining sound Everytime she exhales. But she does that normally when she sleeps. I don't know if shes whining or if she's wheezing. I think wheezing because it's Everytime she exhales unless she is holding her head up but then she kinda holds her breath until she lays her head down.

I talked to my Sister and she agrees with me that she hasn't shown any nesting behavior but she has either layed down right beside us or she hides under a bed

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Okay so now she has fallen asleep after moving around and acting really uncomfortable. She is laying the same position she was in when she was making that noise but after she fell asleep she didn't make that noise anymore.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
The nearest vet is 45 minutes from where we live. And sadly my parents are the mother nature knows best type. Both of the parents are purebred mini poodles.

So right now her temp is 99.1 and she is kinda like making a weird wheezing/whining sound Everytime she exhales. But she does that normally when she sleeps. I don't know if shes whining or if she's wheezing. I think wheezing because it's Everytime she exhales unless she is holding her head up but then she kinda holds her breath until she lays her head down.

I talked to my Sister and she agrees with me that she hasn't shown any nesting behavior but she has either layed down right beside us or she hides under a bed
Hiding and clingy behavior are signs of nesting behavior also. Because it's her first litter she might not do everything as you expect her to because she's new at it and every dog is different. But clinging and hiding are good signs.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay so now she has fallen asleep after moving around and acting really uncomfortable. She is laying the same position she was in when she was making that noise but after she fell asleep she didn't make that noise anymore.
The wheezing/whining could just be the pressure from the puppies. I've seen that before many times and it's normal for some dogs.
It could also be that she's cramping too

Spring Flower

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Okay I was thinking it was just because of the pressure but wasn't sure.

I was looking where she was laying and it might be a nest or maybe it's just imprinted because of her laying there. I'm not sure but it is nice and dark and kinda like a cave. It's under my little sisters bed and it's a mess of course and there is a L shapes path with her little bed in the back