Pregnant Ewe Losing Wool

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never had anything like that on my Dorsets so I am so happy to read about this in case it happens. I've heard about keds but never seen any. If your area has this problem, you will probably want to start a regular program of injectable or drench and pour on wormers and insecticides. Ivermectin doesn't work for everything and you might have to order a pour on for the lice (like Sheepshape said). Remember what Secuono said about treating other animals like your LGDs and other animals that share the pasture and shelters. Check with your vet about how often you need to do it. These pests are probably in the bedding and pasture now so a regular eradication program will be necessary to get rid of them. If you are planning on using or selling your fleece, the parasites will damage the wool and make it less usable. Also, make sure your shearer sanitized his blades when he comes to your farm so he/she doesn't bring any parasites or disease from somewhere else. If you shear yourself, remember to sanitize your blades in alcohol between sheep.