pregnant ewe with bloody discharge

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
One of my dorper ewes 11 months old was exposed to my ram late October and I saw her get marked on November 1st she has a slight discharge for the last few days. Not heavy but a dripping dark red blood coming from her. I noticed it yesterday morning having some dried red crusty stuff on her back side. After checking more I could see it coming from her vagina since they had fresh blood on it. Still continued today not any more on her back side but she still has fresh blood on her vagina.

Thoughts? Trying to abort ?

Couldn't find much online about it other than aborting lambs usally happens around 100 days.

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes this is her first time being pregnant

She is acting normal eating drinking and playing

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I walked my winter pasture I have them on and didn't see anything but it's about 8 acres and I had to walk fast during my daughters nap but nothing jumped out at me

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
You most likely will never find anything. A lamb fetus at that gestational age is quite small. In 16 years of raising sheep, we've had a few ewes abort and only once can I remember finding the lamb and that was only because we knew she was aborting and had penned her up separately.

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok. I figured I see something atleast I checked all the spots they like to lay and went though the barn bedding good. Any reason for causing it to be concerned with? Do I keep her with the ram and try again or wait until next year.

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have goats, and one of my does last year had been bred, and then I saw some pinkish discharge during the pregnancy. I found out that it was possible she had miscarried, and I thought maybe she got bred a second time, after this had occurred; however, due to the date that she kidded, she must have still carried the kid from the first breeding. :) She was a first freshener as well. :) @purplequeenvt, what are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's a possibility this could be the case with this ewe as well, since it's her first freshening? Thanks!