Pregnant maybe?

Teresa R

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My husband bought this goat about two months ago . I went to a sale barn specifically for baby goats. While I was looking at them my husband comes outside and says I got us some goats. So we go to pick them up and he had bought this big goat we had only a very large dog crate . But she actually fit just fine. Anyways I am now noticing her udders getting bigger . I'm wondering if she is pregnant. I don't know why else her udder would be getting bigger .But I know nothing about her.
20181018_104953.jpg
20181018_104953.jpg
20181018_104944.jpg

Attachments

• 20181018_104958.jpg
    20181018_104958.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 129

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just based on the pics, her right side seems to be bulging out which indicates possible pregnancy. The rumen is on the left side. She looks like an older goat so she may have kidded before. She definitely looks to be bagging up to me. Doesn't really indicate when she'd be due though. Good luck with her!

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Did she have the udder when you got her? How long have you had her? I agree with latestarter, she definitely seems to be bred. Have you tried bumping her? If she is bagging up you should be able to feel kids.

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just read you have had her for about 2 months. Sorry, didn't see that part :hide
If it hasn't grown and just now started to get bigger, I would say she is almost certainly pregnant and probably due within a month.

Teresa R

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you . I'll keep you guys posted .

Just based on the pics, her right side seems to be bulging out which indicates possible pregnancy. The rumen is on the left side. She looks like an older goat so she may have kidded before. She definitely looks to be bagging up to me. Doesn't really indicate when she'd be due though. Good luck with her!

Teresa R

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She has one when I got her But it was smaller and more saggy I guess . We just noticed that it's about twice as big now.
I have tried holding my hand on her belly but she gets tense and isn't super trusting of us yet. But she isn't super wild like she was in the beginning so I'm getting some where . Lol

Did she have the udder when you got her? How long have you had her? I agree with latestarter, she definitely seems to be bred. Have you tried bumping her? If she is bagging up you should be able to feel kids.

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
In that case, I would say she is definitely bred. Unless she is precocious which is a possibility but I would say she is more likely to be pregnant. Keep an eye on her ligaments. My guess is she should kid within a month at most. But, I'm not very good at guessing dates. I'll(we'll) be waiting for updates!

Last edited:

Teresa R

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
In that case, I would say she is definitely bred. Unless she is precocious which is a possibility but I would say she is more likely to be pregnant. Keep an eye on her ligaments. My guess is she should kid within a month at most. But, I'm not very good at guessing dates. I'll(we'll) be waiting for updates!

Thanks for your input! It would be amazing if she had babies. I'll post an update and let you know what happens!

Teresa R

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Today I had Bertha my goat in the previous pictures, on a leash and taking her with feed to lock her up for the night. (Everyone gets put up in a 50x25 ft pen to keep from being dinner) and she was hurrying by me and I saw milk squirt from her udder as she was jogging lol. Is that normal? Usually She is way behind me so I was looking at her thinking what the heck are you doing? I didn't see anything coming out after we got in the pen .

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It can be normal for some does. Most don't leak, others do. Just keep an eye on her. I would say she is getting pretty close. Of course, she could make you wait 4-6 weeks and drive you crazy! Who know there is a small chance she may not even be bred at all.