Pregnant maybe?

Teresa R

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I realised I'm not sure if my goat has had her cdt shot. My 3 other goats I did myself when I got them but she was way to wild to even touch so I never gave her one . I can touch her now and walk her on a lead rope. I need opinions if I should go ahead and give her the shot or will it hurt her or the possible baby not knowing how long she has to go.

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I realised I'm not sure if my goat has had her cdt shot. My 3 other goats I did myself when I got them but she was way to wild to even touch so I never gave her one . I can touch her now and walk her on a lead rope. I need opinions if I should go ahead and give her the shot or will it hurt her or the possible baby not knowing how long she has to go.

Just my opinion but, I would ahead and give her one. You are supposed to give them cdt a few weeks before they kid anyways, and with the goo (plug) I normally see that 1-3 weeks before they kid. I personally haven't seen it any sooner than that. That's just me, I know some see it 6 weeks sometimes even 8 weeks before. Anyways, I would see no harm in giving it to her. As far as I know even if she kidded in a couple of days there is absolutely no harm done to the baby. Again, just my opinion. Others could probably provide more info then me.

Teresa R

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just my opinion but, I would ahead and give her one. You are supposed to give them cdt a few weeks before they kid anyways, and with the goo (plug) I normally see that 1-3 weeks before they kid. I personally haven't seen it any sooner than that. That's just me, I know some see it 6 weeks sometimes even 8 weeks before. Anyways, I would see no harm in giving it to her. As far as I know even if she kidded in a couple of days there is absolutely no harm done to the baby. Again, just my opinion. Others could probably provide more info then me.
Thank you! I just wanted to get a second opinion since I'm fairly new to this.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The CD&T should be given to pregnant does 4 weeks prior to kidding so their system has time to incorporate the benefits into their colostrum. Giving it earlier or later than that would diminish the returns but in either case should cause no harm to the kid(s). If you HAD given the CD&T as prescribed, then you do NOT want to give it to the kid(s) until a minimum of 5 weeks from birth. If you do so, you could actually cancel out the protection from the mother as well as negate the benefits of the shot...

Were I in your situation, I would NOT give the shot to the mother at this point as it could do more harm than good, not knowing when the kid(s) will be born. I would wait and give both the mother/doe and the kids the shot at 4-5 weeks of age (kids) and then give the kids a 2nd booster shot ~5 weeks later. The doe only needs the one shot. Then each animal should get a booster annually thereafter.

"Does should be vaccinated for CDT approximately 30 days prior to giving birth to provide protection to the kids through the first milk, or colostrum. If the doe has not been given a priming booster of two shots administered three to four weeks apart at some time in her life, the pre-kidding annual shot will not really be effective. This priming set of shots is usually given when the doe is a young kid but can be done at any age.

Kids should be vaccinated at 5 to 6 weeks of age and then given a booster three to four weeks later. Vaccination of kids from properly vaccinated does prior to 5 weeks of age may result in kids that are not protected and annual boosters may be ineffective.

Kids born to does with uncertain vaccination history or with questionable colostrum ingestion within the first 24 hours of birth should be vaccinated at 7 to 21 days of age and then given a booster three to four weeks later. Alternately, tetanus antitoxin (150 - 250 units) can be given at birth or at castration."
https://articles.extension.org/pages/27116/goat-vaccination-program

Teresa R

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have been impatiently waiting and checking on Bertha lol. Today her udder is even bigger
20181101_142839.jpg

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I completely understand the waiting.....it can be quite stressful especially if your not sure when what the time frame is. I just went through that myself with a young doe...the doe and her birthing went fast and easy. I stressed and worried, drove myself crazy. My advice is to go take a nice hot bath, relax and then go check on her....you willl will feel better and maby she will surprise you. :ep

Teresa R

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I completely understand the waiting.....it can be quite stressful especially if your not sure when what the time frame is. I just went through that myself with a young doe...the doe and her birthing went fast and easy. I stressed and worried, drove myself crazy. My advice is to go take a nice hot bath, relax and then go check on her....you willl will feel better and maby she will surprise you. :ep

Thanks lol! I'll try. Its a cold dark walk to where the goats are so I'll be checking from a distance with a bright light

Latest posts