1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Hearts go out to Notre Dame - Our Featured Thread on our sister site "The Easy Garden"
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Pregnant nanny snapped metatarsal

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Injuries, Diseases, and Cures' started by KauaiGoatGirl, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Mar 23, 2019
    KauaiGoatGirl

KauaiGoatGirl Just born

Hello all! I’m new here and am thankful I can reach out! One of my nannies is due within the next couple weeks , but we had a misfortune.... she snapped her metatarsal clean. I heard it go off like a .22 would sound and yes it was dangling.. ugh :/ So I did set the bone and doctored it up with pvc bandages and all right away. It has slight swelling but isn’t hot so I am optimistic. My question is about her ability to rear her kids and if anyone has heard of someone going thru this or has actually been here. Should I just see how it goes or separate and bottle feed after their initial bonding period(colostrum) if nothing else... The doe gets along pretty well and has the hang of walking and laying down just right and all, so I’m hoping the kids could stay. Maybe separate in between feedings? This will be her first time giving birth.

2. Mar 23, 2019
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

You wouldn't pull the kids after they are bonded and nursing. You would pull at birth, milk the colostrum and bottle feed right from the start.
    The risk is if she cannot stand or begins to have complications you are going to have a hard time getting kids on a bottle. The other thing is this is a FF with an injury. If this were my goat- I'd pull and bottle feed, perhaps co-raise them. She is going to need time to heal.
    Are you giving anything for the inflammation?

3. Mar 23, 2019
    KauaiGoatGirl

KauaiGoatGirl Just born

Southern by choice ...it being a FF I agree it might end up a bad experience if I didn’t pull them. Co-raising? I’m curious what you mean.. with the mother? Just let them in her connecting stall for feedings? As for the swelling there really is only minimal swelling nothing uncomfortable looking. Nothing hot. What would you recommend for minor swelling?