Pregnant or not?

Toni87max

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Having trouble trying to post pic but my girl had lost a milky discharge a few days ago. She lost twins over a year ago and showed no signs of delivering. No udder. Milk came in after. Keeoing close eye on her but not sure if this is a plug as had nothing last year? Any suggestions please. Will keep trying to post pic xx

Toni87max

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Screenshot_20181009-125038_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20181009-125038_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20181009-125038_Video Player.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH Toni, from NE TX! So glad you joined us. I'm not sure what kind of animal you're showing us but assume it's a goat? If so, typically a yellow rope discharge such as what you show is an indicator that kidding is near. Have you felt for her ligaments around her tail to see if they are there/soft/gone? I have to say, that's a REAL close up! :lol: How'd you get her to stand still for that? ;) Can you share a more "distant" picture, preferable looking down on her back from above? and/or a side shot (to see if she's dropped), and or an udder shot from the rear to see if she's bagging up?

There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll also get to "meet" a lot of the folks here that way. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Toni87max

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH Toni, from NE TX! So glad you joined us. I'm not sure what kind of animal you're showing us but assume it's a goat? If so, typically a yellow rope discharge such as what you show is an indicator that kidding is near. Have you felt for her ligaments around her tail to see if they are there/soft/gone? I have to say, that's a REAL close up! :lol: How'd you get her to stand still for that? ;) Can you share a more "distant" picture, preferable looking down on her back from above? and/or a side shot (to see if she's dropped), and or an udder shot from the rear to see if she's bagging up?

There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll also get to "meet" a lot of the folks here that way. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Toni87max

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thankyou so much for your response and advice. Still trying to work out how the site works lol... yes the pic is of a pygmy goat. She has hollowed and looks dropped. No udder but she didnt last year when she sadly lost girl twins. I have had her 4 years and never seen discharge like this with a season which is why i wondered if it could of been her mucus plug. She is super friendly too ( first time in 4 years )! Not good at ligs but keep trying and doesnt feel soft. She is starting to hold tail vertical instead of keeping it up. I hope she is pregnant as i have just got my hand read boy castrated! Il keep a close eye on her and get some more pics. ( not so close ) lol. Im in England too. Thanks so much for responding x

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Perhaps @frustratedearthmother will join the discussion here as she has extensive experience with pygmys... I have Lamanchas and they almost always have their tails up vertically... I think when they were getting ready to kid, they held them more off to the side... Sorry... I didn't pay that close attention...:hide Welcome again! We have a few folks here from over on your side of the pond. :D Sorry your girl lost her last set of kids. Hopefully she'll do better this go 'round. Looking forward to some pics of them when they arrive!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
What can I say? Goats (at least female goats) have discharge. They will often have a bit of a whitish discharge at the end of a heat cycle. But, they will often have a discharge (like in your pic) at the end of a pregnancy. This discharge can last for weeks or days before delivery. It would be great if you can practice feeling for the ligaments as that is the most reliable indication of imminent delivery - except for a hard and fast breeding date. Monitoring udder development is generally a good thing to watch for - but the rare doe will not show udder development like you mentioned. In my experience that has been more prevalent in maiden does and tends to change in more experienced does.

There can definitely be a personality change as you mentioned. I'd jut keep an eye on her and if you see a long gooey ropy discharge then pay close attention as delivery would be imminent at that point.

Good luck with her! How about a pic of your gal...just because we love pics!

Toni87max

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Perhaps @frustratedearthmother will join the discussion here as she has extensive experience with pygmys... I have Lamanchas and they almost always have their tails up vertically... I think when they were getting ready to kid, they held them more off to the side... Sorry... I didn't pay that close attention...:hide Welcome again! We have a few folks here from over on your side of the pond. :D Sorry your girl lost her last set of kids. Hopefully she'll do better this go 'round. Looking forward to some pics of them when they arrive!

Toni87max

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thankyou so much. Will try and get pics of her today x

Last edited:

Toni87max

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What can I say? Goats (at least female goats) have discharge. They will often have a bit of a whitish discharge at the end of a heat cycle. But, they will often have a discharge (like in your pic) at the end of a pregnancy. This discharge can last for weeks or days before delivery. It would be great if you can practice feeling for the ligaments as that is the most reliable indication of imminent delivery - except for a hard and fast breeding date. Monitoring udder development is generally a good thing to watch for - but the rare doe will not show udder development like you mentioned. In my experience that has been more prevalent in maiden does and tends to change in more experienced does.

There can definitely be a personality change as you mentioned. I'd jut keep an eye on her and if you see a long gooey ropy discharge then pay close attention as delivery would be imminent at that point.

Good luck with her! How about a pic of your gal...just because we love pics!