Pregnant?

Brittany09

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 2 year old very small Nigerian dwarf goat. She is in with two wethers. They’re all just pets. The boys sometimes act possessive of her and try to mount her , but they are definitely castrated. I was looking at her a few days ago and reloaded she’s got a bag. Today I caught her and sure enough, it’s full, and the teats are long. Do they ever bag out when not pregnant? Is there anyway the wethers could have some how got her?!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
They do sometimes but not super often. I believe a wether can still have sperm for a month or two after banding. When were they banded vs when we're they put in with her? Were there any other bucks around?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a Toggenburg dairy doe that was a maiden milker. It is more often seen in super heavy milking breeds and bloodlines. When she was bred and kidded in her first freshening she was milking over a gallon a day. Too bad Togg milk tastes so nasty! LOL

Some questions:
How long have you had this doe?
How old was she when you got her?
Was she in with any bucks or buck kids when you got her?
When did your wethers get castrated?

Kristie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Brittany09 - I have a similar situation, but no bucks present. I have two female Nigerian dwarfs that are just pets. Ivy just turned 3 in January and over the last few months has bagged up. I'm curious to see the answers on this thread, because I'm also not quite sure what (if anything) to do about it. I am not raising these girls for any purpose other than to love on them! :)