prelabor in ff Nubian??? help

shaynagc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to bbh and also newish to goats. My Nubian doe is nearing her due date. ( I am not sure her exact due date, I did watch her get bred and wrote it on my digital calendar in my phone and some how it deleted ALL of my information entered so now I have an idea but can't be sure) anyways. I believe she is due any day now.

So... Sunday night I noticed her acting off, not eating, sort of this panicked deer in the headlight looks so I put her in a stall with clean bedding ECT. And watched her from 10:00 pm to 2:00 am. The whole time she would paw the ground, stare off, curl her lips, look back at her stomach while licking the air, get up down up down ECT. But no hard labor just what seemed to be mild contractions every so often. .. Monday and Tuesday she went back to normal eating, but still seems to have these small contractions every so often which makes her look back at her sides and lick the air... Now today she was pawing again but not constantly, laying down getting up grunting softly, curling her lips a bit..

She has a small udder, Not tight or full, no goop just clear discharge. I have noticed her vulva has gone from brown/closed on Sunday to pink and more open today (Wednesday)

She is freaking me out lol! I was expecting her to be more by the book (12 hours of "signs" then pushing) someone make me feel better that this is normal. Has this happened to anyone else's doe?????

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is going by the book, she just read a different book than you did :)

Seriously, yes it's normal. If you see her water break and she's still in labor with nothing to show for an hour or two, that's one situation to worry. @luvmypets tagged some goat people, @OneFineAcre and @Southern by choice are a couple others, they have lots of experience with pregnant goats.

By the way, welcome to Backyard Herds - if you have any pictures of your goat(s) we'd love to see them!

shaynagc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Lol I've been reading about the "doe code recently"

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol I've been reading about the "doe code recently"
I honestly think "doe" code can relate to any animal that is expecting.. They just like to keep on on the edge of our seats until the babes are here.
There is a great video on youtube of the doe code

shaynagc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you I have two more questions.

How soon after your does belly drops doe she kid usually??

How soon after her vulva relaxes and turns pink does she kid??

Also, she is stretching like a cat and rubbing her sides on the walls of kidding pen

shaynagc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How long have your goats shown signs of kidding before labor actually started??

Sunny Searle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have two goats that have kidded in the past week. Lickaroo showed signs for a couple of weeks. Sunken sides, lots of fluids, really soft ligaments, getting up and down a lot, contractions, etc. Lucy on the other hand ( she delivered a few hours ago) was more of a surprise. She did look at her belly weirdly for a day or two and this afternoon I noticed that her bag was much larger. I checked her ligaments at noon and they were still fairly hard. Checked her at 7:45 and she looked normal. My husband came home at 8:30 and checked her and she had two mostly dry buckling on the ground, she went fast! So basically goats are here to drive us crazy and keep us on our toes. Good luck!

shaynagc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh man I hope Abby doesn't last another week and a half!! My other two does are due in early march and hopefully go quickly like your doe Lucy!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. Congrats on your some day to arrive new goat kid(s)... All above pretty much explained how it works... Pick the nicest weather, when you can be there to assist and you'll be sure that's NOT when the event will occur... Pick a wicked cold night with blowing snow/rain/sleet (take your pick - Not sure where you're located), and you have to be out of town for a convention... THAT'S when she'll deliver. Watch what she does this time and how she progresses... That way you'll pretty much know what to expect the next time. Hope you'll share some pics. Make yourself at home and browse around. If you have questions, just post them. We have a great group of active goat folks.