Premature Birth Chat

ByFaithFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good morning! Wanting to have some conversation about causes of premature goat birth. I have a mini LaMancha that had her first set of babies (twins) last year about this time. If my calculations were correct (still sort of new, so learning and improving each year)-she was two weeks early. No other indications of trouble. She appeared very unaffected by the process. Babies looked like they weren’t cleaned, nor ever stood. I talked to more experienced farmers and they said not to worry, happens sometime-next time will likely go without trouble.

I immediately started twice a day milking-she was an excellent milker in temperament, volume, and teat size.

Fast forward to this year-she had triplets-one dead in the sack still-two barely alive. One died shortly after we got it inside and the other during the night, despite our best care. She was 10 days early. Showed no signs of struggle or issue. The two living were cleaned and no placentas to be been. Once again-she’s proving to be a wonderful milker.

We’ve had multiple other, unassisted, uncomplicated births in our herd in the past year. First timers and otherwise.

Both times with Cream, I’ve noticed that she bleeds afterward very little. In fact, it’s hard to tell she’s birthed at all. There has been almost no blood of any kind-when compared to our other goats-post birth, the next few days/couple weeks.

I wondered if there was any clue at all in those facts-that might be evident to those of you who are more experienced?

Thanks so much!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you blood tested her for CAE? Brucellosis usually causes early miscarriage and would have spread through your herd causing all of them to abort.

ByFaithFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We had the whole herd blood tested for the full bio security screen (including for CAE) in Oct of last year (about 8 months after her first unsuccessful delivery). All tested clear.

We’ve had five births since hers last year that were healthy, fully unassisted and no issues with baby or momma health.

Nor any CAE indications-which if I understand correctly is highly contagious and would be showing up in all my herd by now.

Thanks for the suggestions. It’s a mystery. 🤷‍♀️

I was particularly curious about the lack of blood. If it was an indicator of something awry inside.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every once in a while, one can't/ doesn't produce hormone needed. With everyone else doing fine, I'd suspect something more along those lines. Plus the lack of robust kids, no blood issue...she may have poor uterine tissue.

Twice, similar timing, etc.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If something was causing the uterus to retain the blood and tissue she would probably have developed an infection either time.

ByFaithFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good point…and my eyes are novice, but nothing indicated that. She milked so well for about 5 months when we decided to dry her up and give her body a rest. She rebred quickly, within the first chance for such to happen, we think. She carries well-has a good disposition and good health all throughout both pregnancies-looks like a barrel on legs (which is in contrast to her twin sister that we have, as well.) Twin sister is “rangier” built and more square. Twin has delivered a set of twins last year with no complications. And is set to deliver again in about two weeks.

I really hate the idea of removing her from my herd, because she’s probably our sweetest goat, little trouble and milks like a dream. But repeated dead babies isn’t pleasant, of course.

ByFaithFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I just realized that my brain was thinking CL when I was commenting about CAE above. However-I believe our bio security testing covered both CL and CAE.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Check your test results since CAE can be present in some animals in a herd and not in others. Although she is a good milker, you might consider culling her since the constant breeding and loss of kids is economically poor. If you have your own bucks (so no stud fee to pay) and all you want is the milk, (raising calves etc.) then keeping her might be a possibility but since you are losing the $$$ from producing and selling live kids she would not be a keeper in a productive herd.

ByFaithFarm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just double checked-Everyone is negative on everything. We have had a closed herd since August of 2021.

We do have our own bucks-and have plenty of usages for the milk-but your points are definitely valid.

Thanks everyone for your information!