Premature Kidding

SavannahLeigh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think I have a premature kid coming. My doe has all the labor signs (clear discharge, VERY loose tail ligaments, head pressing, etc). She's only 1- 1 1/2 months along. I assume the kid(s) are goners, but will my doe be okay?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry. Your doe should be fine, just make sure that she delivers the afterbirth. Your may want to talk to your vet about doing a uterine flush or an antibiotic bolus just to be sure. Has she freshened before? There are some diseases that can cause this, so just something to consider. You could get a necropsy done on the fetus just to rule anything out.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry... please give us a status update when the issue comes to a conclusion.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry. Your doe should be fine, just make sure that she delivers the afterbirth. Your may want to talk to your vet about doing a uterine flush or an antibiotic bolus just to be sure. Has she freshened before? There are some diseases that can cause this, so just something to consider. You could get a necropsy done on the fetus just to rule anything out.
x2

I would definitely do the necrospy.

Has the doe been through a recent stress? Does she live with a buck?