Premature kids

mdavenport0121

Ridin' The Range
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Messages
140
Reaction score
10
Points
61
Location
North Texas
I had two FF have premature babies, one had a single doe (March 9) and the other twin bucks (March 25), all dead. Both girls are right around 13 months old. My FF that went in December, January, and February had no problems, but they were all older, about 2 years old. Full term, healthy kids.

These two were bred at the same time. I put them with the Buck on October 27, so technically the one that had her babies today could have been full term, but they weren't bred until Nov. 7. Plus the two bucks today, their hooves were still soft. They were probably about two weeks early. I have one more that was bred at the same time as these other two. Hopefully she will make it another two weeks.
 

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
6,246
Reaction score
118
Points
243
Location
Virgnia
treat the doe taht is still pregnant and bred at the same time with LA 200 or biomycin injections. Or you can use Aureomycin 4g feed crumbles or Duramycin in the water. at treatment levels for 5 days.

also treat the two that aborted and the buck that bred them.
 

mdavenport0121

Ridin' The Range
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Messages
140
Reaction score
10
Points
61
Location
North Texas
Just one time with LA 200? What is the lbs per cc? Thanks.

I haven't bred back any of my other nannies yet. I didn't want any August babies.
 

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
6,246
Reaction score
118
Points
243
Location
Virgnia
mdavenport0121 said:
Just one time with LA 200? What is the lbs per cc? Thanks.

I haven't bred back any of my other nannies yet. I didn't want any August babies.
you want to do a treatment level of 5 days, and we do 1 cc per 40 lbs for 5 days in a row. I am a little more careful with dosing the ones that are still bred and have a tendency to do less rather than more with them. Some do the treatment every other day for 3 treatments, so it would be day 1, day 3 and day 5. Others say 5 days in a row. But 1 day in my opinion is not enough.
 

babsbag

Herd Master
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
7,886
Reaction score
9,316
Points
593
Location
Anderson, CA
Do you treat any doe that has aborted? My doe that delivered early had one kid looked to be almost full term and the other one was only about 6 inches long and obviously undeveloped (full size dairy doe) so I am pretty confidant that she aborted due to the one kid dying in utero. Would you still treat her with antibiotics?
 

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
6,246
Reaction score
118
Points
243
Location
Virgnia
babsbag said:
Do you treat any doe that has aborted? My doe that delivered early had one kid looked to be almost full term and the other one was only about 6 inches long and obviously undeveloped (full size dairy doe) so I am pretty confidant that she aborted due to the one kid dying in utero. Would you still treat her with antibiotics?
yes we treat any doe that has aborted as a precaution. REalizing not every time they abort it is going to be a disease, sometimes things just aren't right. Think of the number of miscarraiges in people, but in my opinion if your doe aborts at any stage you should treat hem after the abortion with a tetracyclene product and then again 30 days before rebreeding.

Also if you have more than one abort out of let's say 15 does, then your entire herd should be treated. My opinion, including your buck.

We treat all new does that we purchase as well, 30 days before breeding.
 

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Joined
Aug 18, 2011
Messages
1,328
Reaction score
9
Points
106
Location
Muncy Valley, PA
Especially in a case where the kid is suspected to have died and been carried for a while.. Just an invitation for nasty little buggies to get a foot hold.
 

babsbag

Herd Master
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
7,886
Reaction score
9,316
Points
593
Location
Anderson, CA
I would say by the size difference that it had been carried dead for awhile or I guess it is possible that it just did not develope well in the first place, no way to really know. I didn't treat her, it has been 4 days. Should I now or if she was going to have an infection would I see it already? She is fostering another doeling for me, good girl.

I was planning on selling her but now that I see her nice easy to milk udder on a FF I might just have to keep her :)
 

mdavenport0121

Ridin' The Range
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Messages
140
Reaction score
10
Points
61
Location
North Texas
My third and final FF kidded this morning. A single HEALTHY buckling. He's small, but he is alive and nursing! Maybe I had the breeding date wrong. Maybe they bred the day I put them with the buck. The twin bucks were born when it was 28 degrees (It was 80 a couple of weeks ago, so not really prepared) and I didn't know she had kidded until that afternoon, so maybe it was to cold for them. I wasn't expecting them so I didn't have a heat lamp set up. My four that kidded in December, January, and February will be put with the buck next weekend.

The other 3 FF, I may wait about 5 months before putting them with the buck.
 
Top