Premature piglet hand raising....

Fraser Funny Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So we had a very surprise pregnancy. My PB pig and my Kune Kune boar were sneaky and mated. I had no clue since he has never demonstrated any mating interest EVER and he's 2 and has been with his mate Juliet the entire time. No pregnancy or activity witnessed.

My PB pig Paisley is an indoor pig. She sleeps in my room. She has been in the pasture before, but with us usually. She must have crossed from our backyard when the cow messed up the fence. It is since repaired. ;)

So Paisley acted strange and I took her to the vet after I felt fetal movement. Wow! X-ray found 5 piglets at about 80 days gestation. She was all good after that and we believed we had at least a few days if not the 35 days left. Well NOPE! She delivered all 5 in her own quietly (my poor baby) and when we found them we started reviving them. We got 4 back, but only one could maintain. He is 4 days old now. Paisley is only 1 (we didn't plan this at her age) so she's unsure of what the baby is. She let us put him to nurse the first day, but she doesn't care for it. Not mean just doesn't care. She's a people pig....No joke. She believes she's human and above the dogs and farm animals. LOL So I'm hand raising this baby. It's our error, we have the pigs and they are our responsibility. So I'm up syringe feeding, now kitten bottle feeding this 85 day of gestation piglet (estimated). His eyes were still fused shut and he is very naked mouse looking. He's doing quite well. I do have a medical background, so I kind of used my momma skills and research skills so far.

My question is, does anyone else have experience with this much of a premie piglet? He's drinking froman 1-2 ounces every 2 hours now, filling out, walks like a champ, still has fused eyes, amazing suck reflex, and is improving daily. I am going to do the shallow pain of clean dirt soon. I was waiting for his eyes to open, they just now have tiny slits but are probably days away from opening. His temp has been in the normal ranges and is under a heat lamp and in a heating pad inside my bathroom. He did start yellow water stool water so I added Pedialyte and then bounce back electrolytes. Oh and some kao pectate. He doesn't appear to be dehydrated at all, I watch him urinate his puddle after each feeding. He seems happy. I am trying to predict what may come and how to keep him from getting sick. He had colostrum day 1. I can't find any really close stories to learn from. I research and find good information, but it's for older piglets with eyes open probably more close to term too.

I apologize for my lengthy post in advance. I'm quite exhausted getting up every 2 hours is rough when you're up for a while caring for a baby piglet. ;) I want him to thrive. His naval is clean and the stub already lost. His tail had some trauma soon after birth (?) and the end is shriveled now, lost blood supply. I called the vet to confirm it will fall off on its own. We are watching for pus or inflammation. He will have a stubby tail, but that's fine. I out A&D ointment on his rear end and legs to prevent any scours from burning his thin skin. I count respirations and his pulse a few times per day to watch for changes. I know pneumonia is a concern and I'm watching. ;)
What else can I do or watch for??? I don't want to be unprepared and lose him. I'll take him to the vet if I need to as well. But I'm looking for experience from the people in the trenches. I can do a lot of stuff not because someone taught me, but because I found what works.

Again THANK YOU for any pointers. I am cautiously optimistic that he will be a normal pig one day. ;)

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! As to your questions, I apologize but I have no idea. We have raised maybe 5 bottle pigs successfully but never a premie, especially not one at that stage! From your knowledgeable post it sounds like if anyone can do it, you can. I think the only thing you need to be prepared for is that if he doesn't make it, it will certainly not be your fault.

If you can get a photo of the little guy, we are all suckers for photos ;) And please keep us updated on how he's doing!