Preparing for goats

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am finally getting my goats in June. A doe in milk and one of her doe kids born last week.

As I make lists for things I need, what are your recommendations for a loose mineral?

Also, as I pull together a first aid kit, what items would you absolutely not start without? I am planning to have basics this month and add things in May and June so that start-up doesn’t completely wreck my budget.

I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions. Thanks! 👋🏻

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I ended up finding a couple of sites that helped. One was Fias Co farms. The other was a lady in FL who has a boatload of care sheets and other info she has accumulated over the years, including a basic list of first aid stuff. (I’ll post her site addy when I fire up the computer later - its name escapes me at the moment.)

I still need a couple of medications, but need to find out if I can get them otc or if I need to hit up my vet for a ‘scrip.

Between TSC and Walmart, I was able to find nearly everything on my list.

I’m jealous of your Kinders. I was hoping to find some close to me, but the nearest were hours away and in a different state. But I think I will be quite happy w/my Lamancha girls arriving in less than two weeks.

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I started with a 10x20 barn that includes a 10x6’ section for storage (has a floor and is separated from the main barn by a half-wall).

I am having a neighbor add an extension before winter to create a bigger indoor loafing area and a deeper section to better keep out winter winds. The addition will also include a place to set up the milking stand indoors, more storage for hay and more windows for ventilation.

It’s probably more space than a two does need, but it’s all part of making a healthier, more comfortable environment for all of us. These were a few things I’ve discovered while getting ready.

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@Grandmas Barn ... While you're going, make it bigger. Easier now than later.....look at needs and go from there.
I’ll vouch for that.

I thought I could live with hay outside and covered w/tarp, but I really prefer it inside. I have coyotes, bobcats, the occasional mountain lion, and 100+ degree days in summer. So, protection from preds and elements figured heavily into plans once I realized “good enough” wasn’t good enough.

Latest posts