Previously sweet buck turned into demon-bunny overnight ???

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is good. Hopefully he will continue to be calm and breedable.

Did you examine his penis? He may have injured it.
Yep, that was one of the first things i checked. No issues there. So far he's still acting normal...
Maybe he's Schizophrenic? o_O

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of my first Mini Rex was a buck that had a sort of Jeckyll and Hyde personality. He was very sweet with people - the sort that comes to the door and just flattens out for a good petting - but I had to watch him with the does. After he bred a doe, he'd get in her face, biting and boxing, even if she gave him absolutely no reason to. No waiting for 3 fall-offs with him; I removed does immediately after the first, to make sure they didn't get hurt. For this reason, I made sure that any doe that went in with him was at the peak of her cycle and most likely to be receptive, because I didn't want to risk damage if she turned out to be reluctant. He was maybe 2 years old when I bought him; he was like that when I bought him, and that continued to be him throughout the rest of his very productive life. If any of his offspring developed nasty personalities, I never heard about it; the ones I kept were all nice enough. I guess he was just a very aggressive breeder.:hu

Good to hear that your little guy has backed off . . . I wonder what triggered that sudden shift? Had anything about him or his environment changed?
Well your story gives me some hope!
And no, nothing changed...the only thing that i can think of is that about a month ago, i took him out of his smaller cage and put him into a bigger cage in the same location. But he was breeding just fine with no issues for about 3 weeks after that so i doubt that it has anything to do with it. If he were stressed about his 'new' cage i think he would've been acting different right away not almost a month later....right?
I've moved him away from all the other rabbits for now...he's on the bottom of a stacker.
He isn't neighbors with another buck, he has a sweet doe across from him but he doesn't seem to mind her and he never attacks her through the cage bars.Everything is pretty much the same with him and he's so friendly towards me which makes it even more confusing!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve had does try to bite me..one bit me yesterday..but I had gloves..thank goodness. The table breeding, and the break idea.so, got too sounds great. What about trying him first with the sweetie next to him? Maybe he has a thing for her? I have a full farm...too many animals to put up with a doe who two weeks ago, one very sweet Sally, whom I loved a ton, became my hubby’s dinn because she became abusive to me daily..scratching mebterribly! She even growled! I honestly didn’t have the time to deal with another high maintenance rabbit..we have 32 and are breeding more...so, unfortunately, she had to go

CrazyAboutAnimals

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When i first got my rabbit, (he was very young), he was nice but by a few months turned mean to all other rabbits, and was even attacking me! I was planning to get him neutered (though i hadn't done that yet) but after we got him neutered there was a huge improvement. Good luck with yours! :thumbsup

Latest posts