priced safeguard wormer

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i had to go get chicken feed yesterday.so i priced the safeguard wormer.an it was $30 a block.so if my figures are right itll take 10 to 15 blocks to worm the cows an calves.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I never heard of the block......we use the pour on. Is the block just like a salt lick? Maybe we should try that....... Is it safe for the calves?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yes its just like the salt lick.as far as i know its safe for cows an calves.i have friends that use it.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Each spring, I use Dectomax pour on. It lasts for 40 days, and when I let the cows and calves out on lush, green pasture (and this is where the majority of worm larva are), the cows will be out eating all these little larva, and vacuuming them up. Since the Dectomax works for so long, the majority of the larva are killed early in the spring, and I have a much lower worm infestation for the rest of the summer. In the fall, I use a different wormer like Safeguard or something else with a different mode of action.

Texas likely has a totally different parasite profile, so maybe Safeguard is the best for your situation.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
we only spot worm cows as needed.never worming the whole herd.i was just thinking it would be good to worm the whole bunch.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think our neighbors use those blocks, but they have soo many it would be insane to use the pour on. This reminds me I should really check my calendar and probably do mine before I let em loose! lol

Pure Country

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We use the pour on wormer as well. Usually ivermectin.

The problem I see with the blocks is being able to regulate the amount of wormer each animal gets. Plus you have to make sure the block doesn't get wet and disolve.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We use the pour on for the cows. For the heifers it depends but, DH likes the crumples and Ivomectin.

The problem we've heard with the blocks is getting the cattle to lick them enough. :idunno

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
if i do the blocks ill put them out when i know its not gonna rain.its not feasable to run them through the chute todo the pour on.