Pricing

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Need some help on pricing my goats. Im thinking about selling. And i dont want to take them to the stock barn. I was offered quiet a bit for the colored one when he was a baby. Should have taken the offer lol. But i had planned to breed him when he got older. Now he is fighting with my older buck and one needs to go. I dont want to price them to low or to high. Im in East Tn. Thanks for any and all help.
20171027_090733.jpg
Buck 10 months old
20171027_091406.jpg
Doe 10 months old
20171027_091033.jpg
Wether 10 months old

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
When looking at pricing-

Are they tested?
If so for what? ( example- TB/Brucelosis, CAE, CL, Johnes)
Were they G6S tested as well
They appear to be horned as well - was the doeling disbudded

Are they registered/unregistered?
If registered take a look at the pedigree... are the lines good ones?

All these things make a difference.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok. Thank u. Im going to get my herd tested. But didnt know all i needed to. The sad thing....I had them disbudded at a vet. And the horns still came out. The dad was able to be registered. But we never did. We have tried to contact the guy we bought him from but he wont answer any calls now for some reason. Looks like i have a little work to do before I sell. ☺. Thank U!

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Im sure covering a doe with my buck also depends on whether he is papered. But in general how much would u charge for stud fee? And what should he and their doe be tested for?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you want them gone-
I would sell the wether by the pound on the hoof- (for food) a good deal would be $2 lb

For the intact ones-
that is a bit tough-
if not registered there isn't a huge "pet market" so unregistered would be harder to sell for a good price...

If you want them tested then you are adding an expense that you probably won't make up in the price
Testing at the minimum would be CAE
The G6S is a DNA sample that is taken and tested for that gene it is very important to know if you have a Normal, Carrier, Affected animal

Again they aren't registered so that is a lot to spend

I would try for $100-125 for the intact animals as is

If you did CAE, CL, Johnes, and G6S $200 BUT they will still be harder to sell at this point because they are unregistered.

I'm not a "registered snob" we have unregistered goats in our herd too... but they are Nigerians- they are all tested and the Nigerian market is different. So I am not saying there is anything wrong with unregistered just saying for a Standard breed and Nubian it would be harder to sell for much more.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lol i wouldnt have thought u were a "registered snob":gig. I asked. Ok i was just wondering if selling them for $100-$125 would turn folks away. Or if that was to much to price them. That is about what I paid for my doe's. Thanks for responding:)

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Im not going to name the next batch I raise! And sell them at 3 months old if I can. This will be the toughest thing for me to do. Sigh