Probiotics for goats

Jered Norris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I recently did a survey on the different types of probiotics sold today. I tried goat yogurt, probios, cow yogurt, sheep yogurt, and prefer goats probiotic powder. I tried it with couple of my goats and got some different results. Out of all the goats I found the sheep and goat yogurt gave the best reuslts out of every thing I gave them about 2 cups every 3 days and they have more energy, better production, better rumen mobility, and properly formed pellets.

Just wanted to tell you guys about this because Probiotics are important for a goat's digestive health. ;)

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our sheep are drenched monthly with a garlic barrier, ACV, vitamin and probiotic drench. We use our homemade yogurt, but that means filling the drench gun several times per sheep...the powdered would make it easier I'm sure. Can't say if it is a benefit or not, since we've been doing this with all sheep for quite a few years...no control group thing for comparison of those not getting it.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
A healthy goat does not need to have probios on a daily, weekly, or routine basis. If your goat is healthy and has a good rumin there is no need.
We have used probios 1x... for a goat with listeria that had to have high doses of anti-biotics to cross the blood brain barrier. The good flora is destroyed by the antibiotic therefore the probios were given daily.
Times of heavy de-worming, travel stress, illness etc and probios are a great idea.
they have more energy, better production, better rumen mobility, and properly formed pellets.

What was your increase in production?
How did you determine better rumin mobility?
Healthy goats should already have properly formed 'berries', were you have problems prior to this?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
A healthy goat does not need to have probios on a daily, weekly, or routine basis. If your goat is healthy and has a good rumin there is no need.
We have used probios 1x... for a goat with listeria that had to have high doses of anti-biotics to cross the blood brain barrier. The good flora is destroyed by the antibiotic therefore the probios were given daily.
Times of heavy de-worming, travel stress, illness etc and probios are a great idea.

What was your increase in production?
How did you determine better rumin mobility?
Healthy goats should already have properly formed 'berries', were you have problems prior to this?

I agree.

Jered Norris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I check rumen mobility, if the pellets get stuck together or not and properly formed pellets should look like a round ovular pellet without green or undigested materials in it and that it doesn't have a point on some of the pellets. I had about a 1.3 cup increase and the complete texture was a more loose and creamy. You can tell by how it feels when put your fingers on the right of the goat if the movement feels more smoothly and has a more better mixing of the fluids in the Yemen that is a sign of a properly functioning rumen. I don't know how people care for their goats but mine I take care of as well as I can. I do not feed them prohibitive very often they get it about every 2 to 3 months depending on how it is functioning and how their pellets look. One last thing I usually never have to many disease problems in my herd especially when it comes to coccidiosis, CAE, CL, Johne's, worms, liver fluke, and Tuberculosis. This is just one part of the way I raise my goats for proper disease prevention and goat health.

Jered Norris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When I say point I mean a large point on the pellet.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
For those reading this thread that may be new to goats I want to clarify a few things....
Probiotics cannot PREVENT
I agree.
They absolutely cannot prevent any of these things.
I also can't see them increasing milk production. Well fed, well conditioned animals produce more milk. One can usually boost milk production by increasing feed, or using a better quality forage like alfalfa.

Last edited:

Jered Norris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I didn't say that probiotics prevent those diseases and parasites. I said that I don't usually have many problems at all with them which is part of my disease and parasite prevention program. I was answering one of your questions.
This question:
were you having problems prior to this?

Sorry for the mix up I just get carried away sometimes on a subject which I have learned much about.

Latest posts