Problem with a 3-day-old suri alpaca cria, pls help us!

Agnes Krizsan

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm writing to you because we have a problem with our 3 day-old suri alpaca cria..
So, the story is, that on the birth day everything gone well firstly... The cria's Mom has a lot of milk and the cria eat norally (by the 1,5-2 hours), but his weight don't want to grow bigger and his defecation is not normal as well...
So when he tries to defecate, it's going hardly for him...sometimes it's succeed ,but sometimes not...
If it's succeed, it comes out as a whole (like a big ball).. and TODAY he isn't defecate yet...
We are worried about him and don't know what we have to do...

We read on the Internet that some probiotikum could help, if he has digestion problem, but we don't know what the real problem is with him...

Could anyone help us? Please! *.*

Thank you and Happy Easter!

Agnes Krizsan//Akos Banfi
5600 Békéscsaba HUNGARY
+3670 619 0804
+3620 328 6989
http://www.surialpaca.eu

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know NOTHING about alpaca's, but I've raised goats, sheep and horses. If he is having trouble defecating I would give him an enema. You can use plain water at body temperature. Insert it into the rectum with a small diameter tube, or even with a syringe with a small tip. Lubricate it well and be very gentle. I don't know how big he is so you will need to judge the amount. For new born foals we would give about 2 cups of warm water. For small pygmy goat kids we would use about 6 cc's. It will help him pass stool and hopefully make him feel better.

Good luck!

Agnes Krizsan

Herd lurker
Reaction score
oh, thanks for your help! We will try it!! :))) THANK YOU!!!