Problem with my male Alpaca

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I posted that I bought back my male Alpaca after my friend sold him, well I noticed he seemed a little down in the back hocks, then when he walks slow sometimes he knuckles over. I know he was not well cared for, he wasn't even shaved or feet trimmed.....let alone wormed I'm sure. I managed to get 3 ccs of ivomectrian pour on down to the skin on his butt before he took off. Need hubby to get better to help me get ahold of him. What could it be? He never did it before, and he's not that old about four or so. Some kind of worm etc?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Sounds like possible Meningeal Worm. You need to give him Ivomec at 1cc per 50 lbs SQ (MUST be injected) and Safeguard at 1cc per 10 lbs for 5 days (better to overdose than underdose if you don't have a scale). Also Banamine for 3 days at 1cc per 100 lbs.

I would get him in a stall if you can. Trim his nails and check him over carefully. Keep him in the stall until you are done with all meds and then see what happens. Then you can also get your hands on him and see how thin he is too.

I would also give him a shot of BoSe. I'm pretty sure the dose is the same as goats of 1cc per 40 lbs.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Do I start the safeguard right after the ivomectrian shot? Thank you, I'll stall him.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You can do them both on the same day. You could even give him the Ivomec shot and follow right up with Safeguard.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What would be an average weight of a male alpaca?

Thank you, I'll get on it......

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks, I got ahold of him, trimmed his feet and teeth, gave him the shot of ivomectrian and the safe guard.

How often should I worm my llamas and alpacas? What should I use? The one female llama was with the male, so I assume she is pregnant..... What is safe to worm her with? What does an average llama weight ?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
The safeguard has to be given 5 days in a row at 1cc per 7 lb dose. I think I originally said 1cc per 10 lb but that is regular dosage. Sorry it has been a rough week for me.

For meningeal worm prevention, I used to give them Ivomec shots once a month from September through December or January. That is usually the main time that meningeal worm seems to happen but it can happen at any time of the year. People used to give Ivomec monthly for prevention but I think more and more breeders are getting away from that since the parasites are becoming immune.

Llamas are anywhere from around 250 to 500 lbs. They can be deceptively larger than you think. I had a llama that was 450 and another one that was around 300. So I guess it depends on how tall the llama is and also how "conditioned" they are.

Normal worming I would only do as needed.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you, I was worming my llamas every six months with Safe guard or Ivomectrian paste as prevention. Like I do with the horses.. But I guess the paste does not work like it does with horses on them?
Thank you for all your help.