Processing question; what you can use the fat for?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I'm still getting into rabbits and new to this.

I'm watching a Youtube video on how to process them. And in the video the person is saying rabbit fat tastes disgusting, but that if you wanted to in a survival situation you could feed the entire neighborhood with it.

I'm wondering if there's a way to process rabbit fat to make it not taste disgusting, or not make food cooked in lard made out of it taste disgusting? What do you think?

I think this might be important to know...

Because... if there's a food shortage, you would need cooking oil but not be able to get it at the store. The stores would be likely overpriced, whether or not there's trouble or not.

And this is why it might be a need to figure out a way to process the rabbit fat in a way into lard that makes it not taste disgusting. (I've heard that duck fat also doesn't taste good either...)

But some lard from some animals isn't disgusting right? So doesn't that mean that people already figured out how to process some types of animals fats to not taste gross? So if it can be done for one type of meat species then its reasonable to think that some (but maybe not all) of other meat species could have a process to make them work.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sure that if there was a SHTF situation, rabbit fat could find a use. I render the fat from the feeder pigs we raise and make lard. I can it. The first batch I made in 2018 lasted 2 years and I just made more a few weeks ago.

I raised rabbits many years ago, but they never had much fat on them. A fat doe is hard to breed. Too much internal fat and she won't take. Beef tallow also makes an acceptable fat, but I have never rendered any. I'll find out when we take our steer to slaughter.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with Bay...if your rabbit has so much fat you can render it into lard, then you are feeding WAY too much. I've butchered plenty of rabbits and never noticed any stored fat on them....they are typically a lean meat animal.

Having said that, it appears this is actually a thing and people do render rabbit fat:

I render chicken fat in a small double boiler pan set, then strain it and freeze it flat in quart size bags. I LOVE chicken fat in cooking...gives everything a creamy, wonderful texture.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So can I ask to compare notes with you all that have slim healthy rabbits of good size?

By this, I want to ask you the cup size of pellets you use per meal? (As I'm kind of new I don't know if I'm getting it the way the veterans would.)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
So can I ask to compare notes with you all that have slim healthy rabbits of good size?

By this, I want to ask you the cup size of pellets you use per meal? (As I'm kind of new I don't know if I'm getting it the way the veterans would.)

When we were raising meat rabbits they all got a tuna can full of pellets per day and we kept their hay net full.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our new Zealands were fed free choice pellets and hay. In groups of 4. They were 5 to 6# processed at 12 weeks
Our breeders get 1 8oz cup of pellets.

Rex79

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've been wondering if I was feeding my rabbits too much!

My standard Rexes get 3 and a half ounces a day. My Rex kits get about 2 or 3 oz a day but unsure how much each kit is getting.

My New Zealand's get 7oz a day.

The feed is 15% protein.

I give them lots of hay plus the occasional BOSS and oats. They get a few greens daily and the occasional carrot or apple. They always have pine cones to chew on and I give them willow, apple or pear twigs every few days.

Is this too much? It doesn't matter what time of day I go out to see them they are always looking for more food, even if they still have hay or pellets left. I don't feed them every time I go out as don't want them to associated me with food.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do they have large dewlaps under their chins and rolls on their hips? If so, they are too fat. It sounds like an awful lot of food. Rabbits are like chickens...they always act like they are starving and haven't had anything to eat for days, no matter how full they are. :gig