Processing your own wool?

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone process their own raw wool? I want to learn how to do it and am at the stage where I need to purchase some hand carders and I am completely clueless. There is like 4 options, #1, #2, #3, #4 which means nothing to me :ep

Thanks!

10461.160x160.jpg

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
we just have the angora rabbit fiber and we can use it right off the rabbit so to speak. Could the numbers have something to do with how fine the teeth are on the comb? We have a fiber shop near us that we picked up our drop spindle from. If there is anything similar near you, you could go and ask questions.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have done proccessing some of my own wool. For me I always wash the fiber, let it dry, and pick out any large matter (hay, poo, straw, etc). For washing get a tub that is big enough to hold at least one fleece, I wash them one per tub. Turn on your tap to the hottest temp and fill the tub up about 1/3 of the way. Then you put some kind of cleanser in it, I use common dish soap. Now when you put the fleece in you want to make sure you don't agitate it, or else it will felt. Place the fleece in the water and push it under(it will float up. Then you let this sit overnight, and drain the fleece of water the next morning. Drying can take a bit of time, my thicker fleeces take about 2-4 days. Carding is the part that takes the longest, and is the most repetitive, especially with hand carders. But when you finally get to spinning at the end is quite enjoyable and rewarding. You can also go straight to carding with raw wool, and you wash the yarn at the end.

Duckymark

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The numbers are how fine the hand carder combs are. Which one you need depends on what fiber you have and how fine it is. I have #1 which is extra fine.

Latest posts