Production decreased - what to do in my situation?

germanchickTX

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi folks!
I don’t know what to do here (may have been discussed, but everyone’s situation is different):
I have two Boer/Kiko x American Alpine does who ff middle to end of March.
At about 4 wks kids age I started locking them up overnight to do a morning milking.
Since about two weeks the production has gotten to below half of what I used to get.
They have unfortunately very little browse, but I feed free grass hay, grass, alfalfa pellets, 16% dairy goat pellet, top dress with calf manna, free choice goat mineral and have recently added a goat protein pail.
They act like they are bored or have no appetite and rarely eat enough of this.
I wonder why; was it the bobcat coming in snatching a chicken, is it the increased heat here in TX, did they just decide it’s weaning time and quit making enough milk (although I put the kids away for some hrs during the day now too, for an added evening milking)?
I was milking to feed a friends bottle baby and for my coffee...my coffee is crying and my friend has to add replacer for her baby.
I will deworm them with Levamisole today, they tested positive for stomach worms, but not high enough to warrant treatment, but I’ll do it anyway.
One of the girls looks horrible, I don’t know where to go from here or what else to try...
Any ideas?
Thank you very much

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
With the increased heat here in TX, mine have dropped off in production as well. They may need copper boluses. Even with loose minerals, they may not be getting enough. Cobalt is another mineral that some have found to be sadly lacking... I bought a protein bucket for mine as well and they don't touch it. Mine have a nice pasture to browse/graze in, get fed alfalfa hay free choice, and a 16% pelleted ration twice a day. They also have free choice minerals. I still bolus them. If you have a vet, you could talk to him/her about a vitamin B shot to enhance appetite. After worming, you may find giving probios to re-establish gut flora will help them.

You could get a blood draw done for mineral analysis and see what's going on.

germanchickTX

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They don’t touch the loose mineral very much. When it is fresh, yes, but as soon as a bit humidity gets on it, they don’t want it anymore.
I’ll see about testing for minerals. I draw myself, anyone knows a good/cost effective lab to send to?

germanchickTX

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Naturally, the worst doe got the wormer first. She started sneezing and sputtering saliva, I hope she got enough of this wormer down.
The buck though, he thought it was candy ...

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Here's my best recommendation... Might be close enough that you can just do a drop off... :hu I can't remember where in TX you're located but think it was down in that area... https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/ TX A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory Follow the links for tests and prices as well as directions to submit.

I just dewormed all of mine (adults) using Ivermectic 1% injectable, orally. None really like it when I grab them by the bottom jaw and stick a thumb in to hold their mouths open. But then some really liked the stuff and others snorted and didn't. Who knows... they're like human kids; one will love something the other hates. They'll need 2 more doses, 10 days apart. Coming up on my CD&T booster date for the 10 kids, 5 boys, 5 girls. At the same time as that I'll be banding the 3 for sure to be wethers. 2 are already sold, the other I'm keeping to replace the existing one. (He's slated for freezer camp). And the remaining 2 I'd really love to be herd sires for someone. But if nobody shows interest pretty quick here, they're gonna end up wethered as well.

The scurs on my buck are getting out of control and he's way to powerful for me to try and cut them myself. I need to find a goat knowledgeable vet who can trim them back. One is now pressing on the back of his neck.

Mine don't like stale minerals either :\ When I put them out, they fight over who's gonna get their nose in the feed bowl first. Some try to step into it to take possession, which ends up dumping most of it out on the ground :rant like kids fighting over a new toy. I sometimes just hold the bag open for my buck and he sticks his nose right in to lap up what he needs. Some of the does will try to force their noses in along side his. That doesn't work so well. I copper bolus them using a plastic balling gun. I give them 2 capsules each. I dip the cap in a little peanut butter then place it in the gun. It holds 2 with no problems and the PB keeps them from falling out. A couple of my goats tried to fight to get dosed again for more PB. :lol:

Hope you figure out what's going on. Good luck!

germanchickTX

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Texas A&M is awfully expensive, though. My vet said that for the bioscreen and Brucellosis the lab charge there would be $175, plus his blood draw (for one goat!).
I drew myself and send it to a lab in CA, can’t remember the name right now) and the total test cost for 4 goats was $160. next time I ship with fedex, cheaper than usps... this lab unfortunately doesn’t do other tests like mineral screen.

germanchickTX

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here's my best recommendation... Might be close enough that you can just do a drop off... :hu I can't remember where in TX you're located but think it was down in that area... https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/ TX A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory Follow the links for tests and prices as well as directions to submit.

I just dewormed all of mine (adults) using Ivermectic 1% injectable, orally. None really like it when I grab them by the bottom jaw and stick a thumb in to hold their mouths open. But then some really liked the stuff and others snorted and didn't. Who knows... they're like human kids; one will love something the other hates. They'll need 2 more doses, 10 days apart. Coming up on my CD&T booster date for the 10 kids, 5 boys, 5 girls. At the same time as that I'll be banding the 3 for sure to be wethers. 2 are already sold, the other I'm keeping to replace the existing one. (He's slated for freezer camp). And the remaining 2 I'd really love to be herd sires for someone. But if nobody shows interest pretty quick here, they're gonna end up wethered as well.

The scurs on my buck are getting out of control and he's way to powerful for me to try and cut them myself. I need to find a goat knowledgeable vet who can trim them back. One is now pressing on the back of his neck.

Mine don't like stale minerals either :\ When I put them out, they fight over who's gonna get their nose in the feed bowl first. Some try to step into it to take possession, which ends up dumping most of it out on the ground :rant like kids fighting over a new toy. I sometimes just hold the bag open for my buck and he sticks his nose right in to lap up what he needs. Some of the does will try to force their noses in along side his. That doesn't work so well. I copper bolus them using a plastic balling gun. I give them 2 capsules each. I dip the cap in a little peanut butter then place it in the gun. It holds 2 with no problems and the PB keeps them from falling out. A couple of my goats tried to fight to get dosed again for more PB. :lol:

Hope you figure out what's going on. Good luck!
Good luck with your guy and gals!