Progress on Fence & Shelter

tcmers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
Just curious...how big is the shelter and how much did it cost to build?
The shelter is 8X10. I really don't know the cost. All of the 4x4 posts, siding and plywood were leftovers from a few years of other projects. The only thing purchased new was roofing and paint. Spent a total of $100 or so. The fence is another story....:D

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
tcmers said:
SheepGirl said:
The shelter is 8X10. I really don't know the cost. All of the 4x4 posts, siding and plywood were leftovers from a few years of other projects. The only thing purchased new was roofing and paint. Spent a total of $100 or so. The fence is another story....:D
Rule #1 is never add up the cost. None of the leftovers you mention come cheap anymore.

tcmers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
kstaven said:
tcmers said:
SheepGirl said:
Rule #1 is never add up the cost. None of the leftovers you mention come cheap anymore.
Definitely! Knowing the true cost would just be frustrating. My pack rat tendencies tend to annoy my wife at times, but in this case it paid off.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I've got a pack rat, never throw anything away husband too.

But there are times when he uses the leftovers and saves us a ton of money. Our goat barn is made of metal from an insurance job we paid $300.00 for. He took down the cypress barrels at the old cotton gin, cleaned up the wood, and has made stalls and stall doors from it. He's really happy when he can reuse materials.

Donnabelle

mek

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just curious, how much fenced area have you provided for your "x" amount of goats?

Fiberfling

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That really looks good. We recently refurbished an old out building. It had to be 75 years old +--. The roof was down near dangerous with two levels on it. One the original and a second on top of that. I guess it was an Ozark way of repairing. Anyway the first one began to rot because the upper one was allowing water in, the whole thing flooded every monsoon season and I was getting skeert of going in there much less my girls. This spring I decided to purchase some CVM/romeldales and told hubby it WAS going to get fixed. The uprights were old cedar trunks with Corrugated metal and oak walls. Mostly in serviceable condition, except the roof. The shed/barn/loafing pen is about 16 by 24. We re-roofed the west side and are now attacking the east side. There are two adult Finn ewes, one ram lamb and 2 ewe lams and a whether in the west side. I close them in at night and they have access to the entire area. Within the next two weeks I want to separate the girls from the boys as the ram lamb is beginning to mount the older females and I don't what them bred. So I will have two loafing pens next to each other where the girls can live and the boys can live and hopefully the ram will not be able to touch noses with the girls. I hope. At near 70 this is a real chore.

GrimshelsGrazingGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I understand. :) Here are the pics:

Goat-Shed-3.jpg

Goat-Shed-2.jpg

Goat-Shed.jpg
is that electric fencing yall went with,if so how has it held up? what is the spacing on it. might have to go all electric next time