Promise Acre: Our Journey

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So tonight is the big 4H livestock rules meeting.... I tried my best but appears everyone who wants the rabbit rules to change are busy with other obligations or isn't as concerned as they said... :idunno so am attending by myself.... :thfrankly bc of that I don't know that I am going to speak much but mostly observe.... after the rabbit project leaders rudeness at the fair I am 100% not looking forward to it. I just don't understand why he cares what the rules are when 10 months of the year he leaves it on a shelf.....:smack and my kids won't have any major problems with the breeding your own stock rules since I have plenty of breeding experience.... it's the families I know that don't want to be rabbit breeders that can't show past year 1.... o_O anyways think about me tonight.... this may become the straw on the camel's back and the 4H rabbit project may not be one we consider...
there are other projects my kids will enjoy.... or so I tell myself. :hu

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Best of luck you, hopefully they listen. We tried fighting them on the rules for goats here but it was like talking to a post. They maintain dairy goats can have horns and meat goats need them taken off...to show them.

Mhmm yes that makes perfect sense :smack

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The "rule maker" has his/her reasons for why they want "that".
You and the missing others have your reasons for why you want "this" instead.

How many people are likely to be there?
How many are intelligent? ;)
How many are interested in rabbits?
How many "decision makers"?

I'm thinking if you make your case with all the good reasons you think the rules should be "this" instead of "that", non rabbit people might pull a rabbit out of the hat for you :D

I don't know all the issues but I agree that some people's kids might want to raise a rabbit or 2 without having to deal with breeding (*). And figuring out where to home the excess bunnies that are born! Perhaps those could be going to other 4H kids that wanted to raise rabbits without have to deal with breeding. ;)

* I know that rabbits don't necessarily "breed like rabbits". My Dad and step-mother sometimes had a devil of a time getting their meat rabbits to make more "future dinners". It isn't just "throw them together and voila, bunnies.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well meeting went as better than I thought. It was me and the head comittee member... no other members showed up..... I was polite, respectful.... and actually I felt listened to. He even wrote things down. I took my "research " other rules for other counties. And I included names of those I knew who were interested in changes. He told me that he would consider it and talk to the absent members. (All of whom have been on this committee for over 30 yrs..,,) Unfortunately I still feel as if they are dreadfully out of touch with today's 4H goals... they have a good point and i see their good intentions But todays 4H is about education not becoming actual livestock breeders.... breeding rabbits should not be the focus. Oh well. Did what I could. Not going to lose any sleep over it. :rolleyes:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's really sad, but at least they he gave the appearence of listening, but if it has been the same committee members for 30yrs and things haven't changed....I sure wouldn't hold my breath either. Maybe there are some independent shows for rabbits in the "Neighborhood".....even an activity that can be done thru your church organization. It would be a good teaching tool for "Creation" and something for the young to do aside from school and video games....:)

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have started a private fb group for interested learning about rabbits. He was not appreciated that I showed up at the 4h show this year... he definitely takes everything personally and feels threatened. But as I told him I was there so my son could see the 4H show and those I talked to, I know from other avenues. He's living in rose colored glasses of good intentions. :he I am hoping other parents call him.... he truly thinks everything is honky dory.... even though the project gets smaller every year.... again didn't lose sleep but woke up with it on my mind... :confused: oh well as a 4H council member I do get to vote on the rules presented at our October meeting.
But it's a start. Now that the committee sees I am available I am hoping to offer some type of educational meeting next Spring. Something geared towards showmanship...

That's really sad, but at least they he gave the appearence of listening, but if it has been the same committee members for 30yrs and things haven't changed....I sure wouldn't hold my breath either. Maybe there are some independent shows for rabbits in the "Neighborhood".....even an activity that can be done thru your church organization. It would be a good teaching tool for "Creation" and something for the young to do aside from school and video games....:)

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH disced up the pastures... will be reseeding it with orchard grass and clover. Right now it's just been yard grass. So am excited to get some real pastures! :D NCM_3194.JPG

We went to the state fair Saturday, it was a good time. Saw the Budweiser Clydesdale team. :love
NCM_3191.JPG
I put Richie in the weed filled pony's pen..... he wasn't impressed.... this is the only time I miss the sheep. But not too much. NCM_3177.JPG
Have plans to make hay this week and probably process some veggies. May be a super busy week.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH cut hay last night... now to get it to dry... busy weekend so not sure when we'll bale.. he has a tractor pull he wants to go to, I have a bunny show, which we cold miss if we need to bale... have a bunny leaving Saturday. Fortunately we'llhave help to buck bales this time. Am going to try to keep DH on the tractor due to his hernia. He has talked to the surgeon and they are thinking repairing it in November after harvest...o_O I just hope it doesn't become an emergency. ..
if I make the show will take the sales bunnies, any pets will be culled if they come home. Just 2 at this time.... I think. Am going to touch up tattoos today, check out bunnies and try to make more cuts.
we didn't win the lottery though I tried.... oh well will keep keeping on.