Promise Acre: Our Journey

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So in my spare time I have been playing with baking and decorating goodies. Did sell some cupcakes last month. :) hoping to use my baking to help pay off my college loans... here's some sugar cookies and an apple pie. Pie crusts are a work in progress for me but already have interest.... 20171014_112919.jpg NCM_3481.JPG

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
trick to the best (very flakey) pie crust is use lard... justsayin lookin good! :clap

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
trick to the best (very flakey) pie crust is use lard... justsayin lookin good! :clap
I have heard that.... attempting to locate some.... :idunno
my last attempt was butter, shortening mix and was passable but room for improvement

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not a place I do alot of grocery shopping, but lard is available here in our Walmart, as well as Food Lion, Kroger, and probably Martin's although I haven't been in there but once. Usually right in the same section as the Crisco or solid shortening. Lard does make a flakey pie crust, but the flavor is a bit different and takes some getting used to if you have never tasted it before. I have used home lard, from friends butchering, but have bought the other too. Even though it is not the best thing for you, I do like my pie crust recipe with plain old solid vegetable shortening. But then, I grew up with it. One thing, pie crusts will get tough and rubbery if you work them too much so as little mixing and shaping and rolling out is best.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, Morrell Snow Cap lard is common in the grocery stores here.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Same here Bruce. You can buy it in 2.5 gallon tubs... I've heard that the processed stuff you buy isn't near as good as the "real thing" from a butchering... I don't know as I haven't gotten to that point yet. It's not in the refer section bu on the dry goods shelf where all the other oils and such/baking stuff are located. You can find it in small 1/2 - 1 pound blocks in boxes. So if you decide you don't care for it, no big waste.

Latest posts