Promise Acre: Our Journey

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is the wall supported below in the basement?
If you like the width of that space, you can take the ceiling out, jack and sister the second floor joists, redo the ceiling. You would have to take the ceiling out and jack even if you move the wall.

I bet DH can redo those basement stairs in a day or less.
Somewhat it's supported, probably adding jacks in several spaces.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was on a civil case jury once involving a roofers fall off a new commercial building (Eckerd's Drugs) and saw all the OSHA required and/or recommended regs for working on a gabled roof. They are extensive. Most prominent, other than a safety line, was something fastened down along the lower edge to prevent the worker from sliding clean off the edge. (It didn't end well for the injured worker, as he had chosen to circumvent every posted safety precaution and didn't bother with a safety line..the judge threw the case out (called a Summary Judgement) after his lawyers finished presenting their side.)

I see DH looking up at the bare wood area in the second picture....wondering how the heck he's going to safely get up there to fix that? A sticky wicket for sure. Bucket truck or rental articulated boom lift would be the safest way, tho probably not cheap, but lots less expensive than medical care should he fall off the roof. I'm going to have to rent one soon to do some caulking work on a window up above my front porch that I suspect is leaking.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it’s a great idea not sure about safety working at heights but I suppose it’s not all that a waste of money if it doesn’t work, you can always use it in the chicken coop and then it will be a real working chicken ladder:thumbsup
I felt very secure on the chicken ladder. With the rebar rungs being raised there was plenty of foot room and support. It is in the barn and I'd be happy to lend it but the distance is a bit of a challenge.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually had already patched the upper roof. And was trying to decide what damaged the porch roof...decided a piece of siding had swung for a bit before it fell. The first time he went up on the main roof he went up on the front and got stuck.... easier to go up than down on steep a roof... in any case he made it down and we moved the ladder to the back where there's a valley to go up, down. He didn't fix the one spot on the other side of the peak at this time. He does know someone with a lift.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Snow! Neighbor reports 7” so far. Kids and Maizy are loving it!
8EB1410E-C21D-430B-BA25-F4E5482F9927.jpeg C3A070A1-8456-4AF8-A0E2-8886DFF7EDB7.jpeg DE9A07AC-9761-49D5-8A4F-EA9A38288F07.jpeg

Tomorrow DH is meeting a farmer who has a vacuum thingie he can suck up the leftover soybeans in the grainery :celebrate which may mean less cleaning for us... we will see if it’s worth his time