Promise Acre: Our Journey

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Farm service agency requires three years of farming records prior to the farm loan. At least start keeping records as such so that you’ve started that process.
This is one of the reasons I and a couple others here have always advised everyone to run their 'farm' as a 'for profit' endeavor even if they are just raising pets. For the most part, it has fallen on deaf ears and contributors soundly criticized for offering that advice. There is absolutely no downside to recordkeeping and documenting farm costs and inputs but you'd think we are advocating cutting off one's own arm the way some rail against it.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
@greybeard I see your point and I have records but since we've never sold any hay we've made it wouldn't have mattered. But if we get our farm bought we'll hopefully be on our way to be being part time farmers...
DH made hay last night, just 108 bales... now we're trying to figure out where it will go. Might have to put it in my trailer:tongue debating on tarping it... but we might need the wagon if we end up doing more... which we don't know yet.... wish we had the farm... we'd have plenty of places to put the hay.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So. need to sign the loan papers, there were some minor details that weren't right. I am not sure I like doing everything online.... but that's the way they are doing things. but it's definatly taking longer as we look thru it and have questions and then have to wait until office hours to get a response. But we're getting there. Have had to confirm a few things with Mom... right now we're frustrated.. she still has 5 (6 if you count the one gelding that she's given to the boarder) horses. She keeps saying that horses are "cheap" to keep :he and accepts that they aren't worth much.... and says fencing is priority on the farm. :barnie I told her we should plan on only 2 of hers coming here for the winter (I think 2 horses are more than fair) especially since she's talked for quite a while of buying another better trail horse . Josh even had that the thought that she stay here this winter so we can get to work on the house ASAP. A house/apt for her should be her priority... she agrees then later is back to the same.... IDK maybe it's not a good idea. I understand she needs her independence but if we're getting the loan (which she plans on paying off after her place sells) I guess we feel we have the say on where fence goes and even how many hay burners she has. The 20 acres only has 3-4 acres of goood field currently. We're going to have to tile and do a lot of work to get the rest ready.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
She keeps saying that horses are "cheap" to keep :he and accepts that they aren't worth much.... and says fencing is priority on the farm. :barnie I told her we should plan on only 2 of hers coming here for the winter (I think 2 horses are more than fair) especially since she's talked for quite a while of buying another better trail horse . Josh even had that the thought that she stay here this winter so we can get to work on the house ASAP. A house/apt for her should be her priority... she agrees then later is back to the same.... IDK maybe it's not a good idea. I understand she needs her independence but if we're getting the loan (which she plans on paying off after her place sells) I guess we feel we have the say on where fence goes and even how many hay burners she has. The 20 acres only has 3-4 acres of goood field currently. We're going to have to tile and do a lot of work to get the rest ready.

Puzzling. I'm not sure I understand this financial arrangement.
You are 'getting the loan' but she's going to "pay it off"?

Sounds like 'she' would have a lot of say about a lot of different things, including how many 'hayburners' are on the place.