Promise Acre: Our Journey

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cold weather means more hay roughage to warm u the horses Blanketing them seems to help - IF THEY KEEP ON THE BLANKETS! A couple of ours had very inventive ways of removing blankets and trampling them into the muddiest part of the field. If they couldn't get them off they just found a way to shred them. Then they sneered at us.
Luckily we are in so CA and even the coldest days are survivable without blankets. Spent a fortune on blankets until we gave up.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
The kids don't help at all? Hopefully they will as they get older. If they don't want to take care of their horses maybe they don't want to have horses ;)
Kids help.
It's my mom's horse and DHs horse... both are cranky old geldings that are well spoiled. Obviously they pay for their feed, hoof trims, ect but why have a horse and only spend time with it every 3,4 months, if that? I could spend time working on their ground manners but then that's time away from my own horses. Neither are kids horses (otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the kids their own ) just wears me out. :th

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never blanketed a horse. It does get cold here, it does snow and ice up, it may not last long, but it sure is cold while it lasts. They have their barn to go in to block the wind. They fluff out and look like big fluffy cuddly plush toys.

Your cold is on a whole 'nother level. Won't they go in the barn when it's that cold?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never blanketed a horse. It does get cold here, it does snow and ice up, it may not last long, but it sure is cold while it lasts. They have their barn to go in to block the wind. They fluff out and look like big fluffy cuddly plush toys.

Your cold is on a whole 'nother level. Won't they go in the barn when it's that cold?
We have never had a barn at this property, just a lean to.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
started taking down lathe yesterday afternoon. IMG_5608.JPGIMG_5609.JPGIMG_5612.JPGIMG_5613.JPG