Promise Acre: Our Journey

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
@farmerjan It's still taking forever... and the whole downstairs is still needing everything done too. Probably won't be this year we move. :( But as it's been pointed out we are blessed to have it bought (buying via a loan) as land prices are crazy and it's definitely a buyers market. Places are selling over asking prices within days, especially with land.

IMG_6086 (2).JPGIMG_6089 (2).JPGIMG_6090 (2).JPGIMG_6091 (2).JPGIMG_6093 (2).JPG
Took the girls to the arena. Kinzey just rode but Jocelyn had a lesson on Richie. Both ponies did fantastic, it was busier than before. A horse in the nearby barn kicked a side wall, and staff were cleaning with a leaf blower. Both took it in stride. Makes me feel much better about the fair.

Can't remember if I posted it but the "new" hay field is growing well.
IMG_6082.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like y’all skimmed just under the wire before prices took such a hike. What a Blessing!
Horse lessons, arena riding, what a wonderful time for kids and Mom too. I sure admire you for all that you do.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Prices here are also going up, houses under contract within a few days or week of going on the market. Alot has to do with the very low interest rates. People wanting to not be in cracker boxes right on top of each other... wanting to maybe grow some of their own food, gardens etc.
Heard on Glen Beck ( I think) that the largest growing number of people wanting to become more "self sufficient" are the "millenials"..... so maybe there is hope for the younger generation. Trying to "reconnect" with real life and where their food comes from and not wanting to be so dependent on the big companies for everything....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Of all people, my daughter wants a farm. Oh she doesn’t want to do the actual farming, just be able to look at it. She also wants a family compound, with guess who doing the farming? :lol: :lol: I’m not against that idea, but I ain’t leaving east Texas. For awhile she was in the running for a job in Oklahoma, her and her husband were wanting us to move if she got the job. Ummmm nope. She didn’t get it, still stuck in Odessa. @farmerjan what you said about millennials makes sense. They bought a freezer for half of the beef we raised, paid their half of costs. They are getting half a hog in August. She wants land. Is this my child???

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bricks in the attic? Gheesh.
Probably from an old chimney that was taken down. This house originally had a central chimney based on the notch in the 5 sided hand hewn ridgepole. At some point someone put "chimney cabinets" at either end of the house on the second floor, cutting the ridge pole off at the ends so they could put the chimneys up through the roof 😡 Then the chimneys were taken out, only in the attic, and a single chimney put on the outside of the house on the south side for a furnace in the basement.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
It could have been that the chimney needed repairs and the workmen didn't bother to remove the replaced bricks from the attic.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
We assume the bricks in the attic are from a chimney repair, the said chimney we removed to below the roof line last year and will remove the entire thing at some point.
Took bunny photos and evaluated litters yesterday. DS helped by taking photos.. Just a little off on the angles... we'll get it. IMG_6119.JPGIMG_6159.JPGIMG_6148.JPGIMG_6110.JPGIMG_6131.JPGIMG_6098.JPG

Latest posts