Promise Acre: Our Journey

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had an abundance of rat snakes, until they started in on the chickens and eggs. I need to build my permanent big chicken coop, rat and snake proof that I’ve been planning on since we moved here. I have a pile of salvaged used lumber now and need to build it this summer.
Paris, our female Great Pyrenees, hates snakes and kills them.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
No offense, definitely not a brown snake. I am not familiar with all the different species in your area... just know some different ones off the top of my head because I used to like to study snakes, reptiles and amphibians. I will have to find a pictorial of Indiana snakes and see if I have any other thoughts. But as much as I like snakes and respect their place, a poisonous one really needs to be eliminated from areas where you and your family are.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
No offense, definitely not a brown snake. I am not familiar with all the different species in your area... just know some different ones off the top of my head because I used to like to study snakes, reptiles and amphibians. I will have to find a pictorial of Indiana snakes and see if I have any other thoughts. But as much as I like snakes and respect their place, a poisonous one really needs to be eliminated from areas where you and your family are.
If you can figure it out, let me know. I sent it to a friend who's knowledgeable who sent it on. The ONLY sign it might be poisonous is the head shape, eye's were not slits and absolutely no sign of rattles or pits.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rattlesnakes grow their rattles as they age - the babies do NOT have a rattle. My brother got bit by a baby rattlesnake when we were little because he thought it was a gopher snake as it had no rattles. He's ok, but spent 1-2 weeks in the hospital when it happened.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So we did get 2 of the small fields baled and put up last Sunday. 40 bales to get us started for the the season. The fields we planted are growing. IMG_6379.JPGIMG_6378.JPGIMG_6377.JPG
Garden is all planted except a couple of zucchini a friend gave us, pumpkins and the 2nd group of sweet corn. Kids were a big help IMG_6327.JPGIMG_6329.JPG
Horse lessons are going well though we're struggling to ride much beyond them. 4H horse &pony practices start next week. IMG_6342.JPG
Saddled Lightning last week. He's doing great. Haven't ridden again but he's ready. Not going to rush it and it may be after the fair... IMG_6324.JPG
Softball for dd1 is going well, they've played 6 games already. She tried catcher position last night and did well. IMG_E6391.JPGIMG_6397.JPG'
Another litter of Velveteen lops... the doe's 2nd litter but she had them on the wire... and they ALL fell out (yes I need BABY SAVER WIRE)... but she seems to be resuming her duties after we collected them (8), made them a nest in the box. This is our 6th VL litter, 13th litter total for us this year.
IMG_6412.JPG

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some photos from the last couple of weeks. We just got 240 bales for first cut, down from last year. IMG_6434.JPG DH fertilized the fields and they're looking good. DD1 got to put up the hay wagon. IMG_6446.JPG
IMG_E6397.JPG
DD1 playing catcher for the first time. She loves it!
IMG_6523.JPGIMG_6520.JPGLots of bunnies were born over the weekend. Up to 74 rabbits total!
Camping over the weekend. IMG_6472.JPGIMG_6509.JPGIMG_6469.JPGRanger did very well.
DD1 learning the zero turn for 4H tractor drivingIMG_6530.JPG
Dog 4H show is this Saturday. The two older kids have been having fun with that. And our youngest had a tball game last night. 4H horse and pony practices started last week too, our prep work has paid off and the ponies have done great for DD1. IMG_E6451.JPG