Promise Acre: Our Journey

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_6738.JPG
Kids and I have probably been spending 8-10 hours a week weeding... We've had some green onions but ready for more rewards.

IMG_6754.JPG
DD2 Playing TBall, she's had a fun time.
IMG_6747.JPGSummer reading program at the library, kids loved the albino python
IMG_6716.JPGIMG_6699.JPGIMG_6765.JPGIMG_6767.JPGIMG_6689.JPG4H projects and practices

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Thanks Baymule for the kind words. I love my kids and am grateful for the opportunities we've been given. My husband is for the most part supportive and it's a team effort.
IMG_6821.JPGLast Tball game for dd2
4H doingsIMG_6778.JPGIMG_6801.JPGIMG_6806.JPGIMG_6814.JPGIMG_6824.JPGIMG_6827.JPGIMG_6834.JPGIMG_6836.JPGIMG_6838.JPG Kids did well with their general projects, nothing below a reserve ribbon and several going on to state fair.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fair photosIMG_6862.JPGIMG_6865.JPGIMG_6867.JPGIMG_6872.JPGIMG_6893.JPGIMG_6894.JPGIMG_6895.JPGjohnGT2021county.jpgJocZT2021county.jpgIMG_6851.JPG
Fair overall went well, can't say it was perfect but only one major hickup. Richie had enough on day 2 of the horse show and threw Jocelyn.... Not what you want to see, your 50# girl flying through the air... :barnie But a friend loaned Jocelyn their pony and she finished the day. Sore but she was unhurt. So until she's bigger Richie's show career is done. Needs some work on being herd bound.... hard to do on our current property but we should start doing tying up lessons around the property where they can be "alone" Hard thing when you mostly trail ride.
Kids did really great with 4H, lots of blue and purple ribbons. 3 of Jocelyn's projects are going on to state and 1 of Johns. She did more that would qualify. They are both going to Area for tractor driving. Jocelyn was reserve high point junior and actually beat her brother's score in zero turn. John was the oldest, most experienced junior driver so he was high point. Proud of both.
Have had a couple more people come see Lightning. He'll be for sale until July 28 I think it is, that day I have an appointment with a trainer. She'll evaluate him and we'll discuss his future. Either send him with for training or consignment.
Let's see what else. Softball is ALMOST finished... Jocelyn's team is in the regular season tournament championship tomorrow night.
We're getting a few peas from the garden and the cucumbers are going nuts. Weeding every minute we can. Corn is tasseling. Looks like we'll start harvesting beans and need to harvest a cabbage to make cole slaw.
DH and John are helping/taking with a local group who puts on a Power from the Past show, it starts Wednesday.
VBS for kids and me all week in the mornings.
Summer hasn't felt like a vacation.... but I guess we're staying out of trouble. Looking forward to our lake trip at the end of the month.

Last edited:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Figured I should update this. Since this we've put up 26 qts of green beans from the garden. Made cole slaw and egg rolls. IMG_7175.JPGEating cucumbers, eggplant and a few tomatoes. The weeds took over though... no more peas or zucchinis. Should have watermelon soon, picked one but it wasn't ready.

And baled 698 bales of hay for our 2nd cutting and about 160 straw bales on shares a couple weeks ago, we only kept 45. The corn crib is almost full, have 2 more wagons to unload. I RAKED and RAKED... still have a lot to learn but getting there. IMG_7204.JPGIMG_7247.JPG We started 7/25 got 75 bales up 7/27... then the other half we had down got rained on (7% chance). We tedded it... but didn't have time to do anything with it and it got rained on again, so tedded it again and went to the lake. Came home it was dry that whole time and we raked it a final time and baled it. DH started on the other fields while I raked that night. Not pretty but it had to come off the fields. Got 72 more bales. Took us 3 nights to get the rest mowed, And we got it all baled 8/2 and 8/3. Had been hoping to have 3 nights to bale but we got it done in 2. Now we can pay our hay guy in hay, he'll get choice of the 3rd cutting. And we may sell the rest...as there's no more room to store.
We did make it to the lake... which was restful but not long enough of a break. We caught a big batch of fish and fried them up on Sunday. IMG_7181.JPGIMG_7183.JPGIMG_7198.JPG
Area tractor driving had 5 kids from our county participate, they had some stiff competition. But all completed their courses, no one made it on to state. IMG_7228.JPGIMG_E7222.JPG
Kid's projects are at state fair now. They don't know but both their electric projects got blues, Jocelyn's flowers and wildlife poster were reds. Hoping to get down there to see them in person.

Some sky photos at home. IMG_7129.JPGIMG_7178.JPG