Promise Acre: Our Journey

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We will see colt's foot (nasty invasive) flowers before we see dandelions. In fact the flowers come up before the leaves.

Apparently it has a few qualities. I took care of a property that had a huge stand of Japanese Coltsfoot, which is not the same thing but may be related. It's also known as Fuki (Petasites japonica) and is edible also, the stems I believe. I just found it to be annoying and not terribly ornamental.

Here's yours I think.
"Coltsfoot flowers can be eaten. They can be tossed into salads to add a wonderful aromatic flavour; or fill a jar with the flowers and add honey to make a remedy to help calm a cough or to sweeten a bitter herbal tea. Dried flowers can be dried and chopped up so that they can be added to pancakes, fritters, etc. Young leaves can be added to soups or stews and small quantities of fresh young leaves can be used in salads. The leaves have a bitter taste unless they are washed after being boiled. An aromatic tea is made from the fresh or dried leaves and flowers. The dried and burnt leaves are used as a salt substitute. "

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
The lockdown isn't too bad for you, you and the kids have horses, the farm and lots of thing to do. Pity the parents who work, send kids to daycare, now are on lockdown and live in an apartment. Don't you know they are going nuts now!
I can't imagine!! Yes those of us in rural areas are VERY blessed!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_2814.JPGIMG_2815 (1).JPGIMG_2817.JPGLast Friday evening was spent at the farm, checking things over. Even found another arrow head.
IMG_2844.JPGThen Sunday we worked on some firewood at a neighbors, John worked a bit with the ax :eek: while DH used the BIG chain saw and I ran the splitter. Girls helped move logs. Still have a lot more to split and bring home but our first facecord is ready for next cold season.
IMG_2843 (1).JPGIMG_2868.JPGIMG_2869.JPG
IMG_2861.JPG
Then this week we've been cleaning up the flower beds in front of the house.. using the sod to fill in some low areas in the horse pens. And DH and John have been working on cleaning up the horse pens.
We do have 10 bunnies, from 4 litters so far small litters. But they all are doing well at this point.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So spent the weekend spreading a pile of horse manure on the garden.
IMG_2867.JPG
so this the pile before we started, and almost finished.
fillingspreader.jpg
used a small spreader we got from my Mom. it's not much bigger than a wheel barrow but worked ok for the garden. John did most of it. We helped fill as we were all doing other jobs.
johnspreading.jpg
DH got the mower all ready, oil changed and all that then mowed. I ran into town for some plants for the garden and also attended a drive in memorial service for my friend. After supper DH got the manure tilled in.
tilling.jpg
Kids have been a decent help prepping the garden so far and hope it lasts. We need to start planting and also get the bunny fence up around the garden. We put a single strand of electric tape around it in the past which kept them out, we're going to move a couple posts and restring it.

We are up to 21 baby bunnies in the shed, 46 total. The outdoor bunnies have been enjoying the weather, though the older doe Padame' was digging yesterday. After I filled it twice I put a block on the area and she quit. I think she was after the cooler temps in the soil.
padinahole.jpg
pad&winnie.jpg

Attachments

• fillingspreader.jpg
    fillingspreader.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 143

Latest posts