Promise Acre: Our Journey

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule I have actually ran a couple of different tractors... in college. They had a really nice (started with a key!) John Deere we used for university farm chores. And I also spread manure with an old ford 9n at a horse farm job I had in college also. so I'm not a complete dunce about them. Just haven't really needed to :hu But with the farm I knew it was coming. We will see. Pulling a baler and a wagon with DH on it on a bumpy field does not sound fun...but I'll get it done if that's what I need to do.
We got the yard and hay field finished mowing last night. After I was done in the yard I captured some silly kids 70618424_496052594525730_801831425924923392_n.jpg 70311524_496052667859056_8671601470988091392_n.jpg and Maizy. She loves the farm. The neighbor's dog that was a bit of a pain passed away suddenly last week... so I feel like she can come with us more. I feel bad their dog died but it's a relief not to deal with him knocking the kids down... or them asking me to take care of him. Which involved catching him then tying him at night when he likes to play catch me and thinks nipping/play biting is an ok thing to do...
In case you didn't see the coffee thread the sunsets are absolutely amazing at the farm.
70247486_496052474525742_7046483801500811264_n.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tractors. I bought new and love it! It's automatic, has cruise control :lol: Fun to ride & use. I have a FEL and bought a backhoe for this unit. THAT has been a blessing and useful for more than digging!! After all, you can move up/down, forward/back AND right/left with it. I find it very helpful when moving "stuff" and even pulling fence tight!

Have other attachments and ONLY the bushhog is a problem to hook up. May have to buy another to cure that :idunno I do want to buy a tiller for it. That's a future purchase.

Jump on that tractor and enjoy it. I love mine!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been driving tractors and different equipment for years. BUT I still hate pulling the square baler with my son riding the wagon behind it. He is a "backseat driver" and constantly telling me I didn't aim the pickup of the baler on the row right, and that I was taking the corner too wide or too tight.... So I get EXACTLY what you mean about not doing it while he is on it...

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
And don't forget about pallet forks. I use mine to move the racks of cord wood to the porch (built them like pallets with tall sides, each holds 1/3 cord), carry logs, dig out good size rocks, move brush and old rotten fence to the burn pit, get new implements off the delivery truck. They are more than just pallet picker uppers.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
@promiseacres will understand the Hoosier connection I have to sugar cream pie, so with the proximity, I'll take one of those. :lol:

I am not sure what it is, but figured it was a Midwest cultural thing like Euchre, but sugar cream pie didn't seem to make the popularity anywhere else other than Indiana. You get away from the Ohio-Illiana locale, and no one likes or seems to have heard of sugar cream pie.

Once upon a time, every kid growing up in Indiana was taught and enjoyed playing Euchre. I have recently learned, though, the Hoosier kids now 25 and under may have heard the word or know older family members that play the game, but do not play themselves. :hit

At some some church dinners and seasonal get togethers, sugar cream pie and Euchre were enjoyed together. At the churches that card playing is a definite no-no, sugar cream pie stands alone as a favorite enjoyed at every dinner.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know Euchre and I've never heard of sugar cream pie. Guess that is what I get for having lived only in the western and eastern parts of the country.

Wikipedia says:
Sugar pie is a typical dessert of the western European countries of Northern France and Belgium; the Canadian province of Quebec, where it is called tarte au sucre; and Midwestern United States states.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Pastor Dave is very correct, Sugar Cream and Euchre are definite Hoosier staples... though I agree most people younger than I have only heard of it. But have been in a few tournaments over the years, one was a FFA thing in highschool, and another more recent was at church. Good times.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I hate to "throw a wrench" into things, but I have played many hands of Euchre....but somehow I've missed out on the sugar cream pie. Before video games and more tv channels to surf through, cards and board games were the main "time burners".....I will admit that I had never heard of euchre before I met Joyce, but we played it in Michigan when we stopped in to visit DD3&4 when we were truck driving.....:)

Latest posts